midi syncing between gear

shedsound

Hi folks!

Anyone able to solve the following....

I'd like to sync the tempo between
ableton live/virus TI/Roland TR8s
I'm using an ART Tubefire 8 audio interface and Ableton runs on a MacBook Pro early 2011
I'm not using the TI via USB as latency issues abound but need the Virus arps and the Roland to sync with ableton
Is there a way of setting a global tempo for all gear without inviting other MIDI messages other than tempo sync?

Do I need another piece of gear dedicated to syncing tempos via MIDI and ableton?

Cheers!

I'm replying to myself here, thinking aloud in case someone can spot an error.....

1 connect Roland TR8s to ableton via USB with Roland as master tempo (is it a simple one-stop tweak or do I have to fiddle in Ableton's MIDI sync preferences....hope not, they are a virtual menace ....)
2 Take a midi out from TR8s into the Virus midi in. (Which of the TR8s utility options will set tempo sync out and nothing else?)

3 Does taking both USB and MIDI out of TR8s cause confusion??

4 I'll get back on the success or otherwise of this one

USB connection and MIDI connection should give identical results - some of my kit has both connections and I have no idea which one is used for sync. All my sync issues over the years have been in the device receiving setup, where the incoming sync is ignored. I'm no hope on the specifics as I don't have these in my arsenal.

USB connection and MIDI connection should give identical results - some of my kit has both connections and I have no idea which one is used for sync. All my sync issues over the years have been in the device receiving setup, where the incoming sync is ignored. I'm no hope on the specifics as I don't have these in my arsenal.

Thanks that's a good line . Haven't had time to reconfigure but will post when I do

Solved!

It's that oldest of chestnuts - MIDI channels!
I USBed out of Roland as master into MacBook and Ableton as slave - no problem. Then MIDI out of Roland into Virus but disabled channel 10 on the Virus as this was receiving from Roland. Then MIDI OUT of Virus to IN on the Arturia, again disabling channel 1 on the Virus as this was what the Arturia was receiving. Job done.
Next problem...….can the MacBook as slave now relay the sync, as master via a created WIFI network to another MacBook running Cubase?
Watch this space. Anyway, hope this might be of use to some sync issues out there.

Back