Midi sounds

TelePaul

J to the R O C
This is going to sound so basic....but Im using Cubase SE3...i was wondering why my universal sound module midi sounds so...basic? its really cheesy. Is there any way for a guitar to sound like a guitar? Or a sax to sound like a sax? The Drum VST (LM 7) is quite cool, and i downloaded a cheese machine string effect which isn't too bad...any body any suggestions? I kinda need free VSTs....any good orchestra sounds? Thanks!

TelePaul said:
This is going to sound so basic....but Im using Cubase SE3...i was wondering why my universal sound module midi sounds so...basic? its really cheesy. Is there any way for a guitar to sound like a guitar? Or a sax to sound like a sax? The Drum VST (LM 7) is quite cool, and i downloaded a cheese machine string effect which isn't too bad...any body any suggestions? I kinda need free VSTs....any good orchestra sounds? Thanks!
You need big-ass samples and big-time programming to get realistic sounds. You typically don't get that with freebies and give aways.

The quality of the output is a direct correlation to the quality (and most often, size) of the samples and the quality of the app.

Right...

Ah okay thanks.....ummm could you suggest any software packages? Or do you know what they cost?

TelePaul said:
Ah okay thanks.....ummm could you suggest any software packages? Or do you know what they cost?
Do a search here, there have been many recommendations for different products.

The original MIDI sounds were'nt so "cheesy" when they were designed... 30 years ago to fit in a 8K(!) space.

You can upgrade any sequencer for free using soundfonts
(go to www.soundfont.com if you need an explanation; its the same technology as used in the SBLive soundcards to let you replace any sound.)

Go to www.rgcaudio.com and download and install their FREE package "SFZ"
(READ the instructions on how to use it.)

You can then go to any soundfont site like www.hammersound.net or www.sf2midi.com and download tons of free sounds to load into it.

Don't forget my personal fave, KVR.

Steinberg, makers of Cubase, invented a protocol called 'Virtual Studio Technology' or VST for short. There are literally hundreds of free VST instruments and hundreds more free VST effects just waiting for you to download them from KVR.

Look for Synth1, TriangleII, Superwave8, Oatmeal, KarmaFX, String Theory, Motion, Monolisa, MinimogueVA, Crazy Diamonds --- and those are just some of the free VST instruments I use all the time.

If you don't have enough effects and want just one recommendation, it would be Luxonix-1310. It a favorite and it's free too!

Fraserhutch touched on a big issue that everyone else has skipped over. The basic issue is a real guitar or a real horn is not played by someone taking one single sound per pitch and striking it via a piano key. Simple sets of samples will sound fake for these instruments no matter how good of a sample you have. You need to do a lot of work, typically, to truly emulate sounds, particlularly of plucked and blown instruments that naturally have so much timbral character depending on just how the are plucked or blown...

TelePaul said:

If you're looking for some software to play your midi stuff on. M-Audio's Key Rig is a good choice. A friend of mine owns that one and I was pretty impressed by the sounds (especially given that it's only $99). I use Steinberg's Hypersonic and love it, but its a little more expensive at like $299 I believe. There is also Native Instruments Bandstand which by the demos sounds pretty dang good. It's $199. With any of those, you would be in WAY better shape than your GM set on your computer. If I've left any off that others can think of please feel free to post them. Try the freebies as well though, many of them will surprise you at how good they can be.

TelePaul said:

REASON!!!

lol, i love reason, but it might be a bit pricey (399) if your not going to be using it alot, but it is an amazing program for realistic synths sounds, samples and oscilators. also has TONS of effects, reason is completly unlimited when it comes to samples synths and effects. check out some of my stuff, its all done with reason and protools.

www.myspace.com/cyanidedependency
or
www.cyanidedependency.com

Thats my choice, every time, and its worth every cent you pay ofr it and more.

-C$

Okay

Guys thanks for all your help, i htink reason will be something i will have to look into in the future...for now, what about a drum machine? Im using cubase se3 with an LM-7. Anything else you guys could recommend? i had a demo version of Ableton Live and the drum machine in that was awesome.

Back