MIDI sound module question: General Q

amt7565

I have a Roland JV1010. I am quite happy with the sounds. however it has only 1 stereo out. I found this very limiting when I took it to the studio for mixing. Is there anyother modules which have mulitple audio OUTs? so that I can route drums, and piano and strings on different outputs?

Also, can anyone tell me if drum machines sound more natural than sound modules for drum kits?
Thanks in advance!

Your first question...I dont know...but if you were tracking one at a time it would be sufficient.
Your second question...I have never heard a drum machine or module that sounded real. The best I have found and only use now are live recorded samples from CD...unfortunetly, they can cost as much or more as hardware.

Yup... it's called sampling. If you use computer, it will be easier, to sequence with sample.

Ensoniq MR-Rack would be great, though expensive.

And Roland XV-5050 plus dance card (~US$1000), 32 MIDI Channel 24bit audio, S/PDIF digital out, USB capable. also good to look for.

Aaah they just great. ;)

amt7565 said:
I have a Roland JV1010. I am quite happy with the sounds. however it has only 1 stereo out. I found this very limiting when I took it to the studio for mixing. Is there anyother modules which have mulitple audio OUTs? so that I can route drums, and piano and strings on different outputs?

Also, can anyone tell me if drum machines sound more natural than sound modules for drum kits?
Thanks in advance!

1--Some modules do have more than two outputs, but they are typically higher up the price scale. An EMU Proteus 2500 has six, for example. An Alesis DM-5 drum module has four. A lot of other modules have four. Better samplers often have four or more, too. Another way to get more outputs is to buy a second module and hook it up to a second MIDI port. You could go with another JV for consistency, or try another synth for variety.

2--If we are only speaking of the sounds themselves, it depends entirely on the devices in question. I think the drums in my DM-5 sound a lot better than the ones in my Roland XP-10 synth. Certainly a sampler using excellent samples would sound better than either one. However, a well-put-together, "human" sounding sequence may well sound more natural on the XP-10 than a stiff, mechanical sequence on a sampler. You might want to go to a store and audition a few--your ears are going to be the best judge. Most of them can be run via MIDI right alongside your JV, and would provide drums on their own set of outputs for you.

OB

Thanks all.
I just want one synth to do everything...that way I can prevent clutter on my desk and also it will make it easier when I carry it to the studio.

I plan to buy a new synth. maybe a Karma or or Yamaha studio synth? How do these compare with simpler synths like the JV series? Is it worth the investment? I guess I will research...

Thanks again

The Korg Triton Rack may be something to check out. It is upgradable and expandable. You can route individual sounds to a total of 6 analog outs. It is also a sampler, so you can get your own drum sounds in there if you want.

Brad

Brad said:
The Korg Triton Rack may be something to check out. It is upgradable and expandable. You can route individual sounds to a total of 6 analog outs. It is also a sampler, so you can get your own drum sounds in there if you want.

Brad

Yes, excellent choice...if you have that kinda dough !

Yes I have been looking at some Tritons. I might end up getting a used Triton LE......It's still expensive....

Back