midi sound banks

guitar ed

hi, guys. I was wondering if anyone here could help me out. I have a Yamaha W7 workstation. It has three voice banks. One is GM, the other two are called preset and internal. I use Digital Orchestrator Pro to do my sequencing. The problem is, DOP can only see the General MIDI voice bank. Is there any way to open up these other two banks? DOP does have some presets for certain hardware, like Roland and Korg products, kinda like Cakewalk's instrument definitions, but none of them work with my keyboard. I'm sure I'm not the first to run into this, and any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..............this is a great forum!
ED

thanks, dude!! I never even thought of that!! I'm no stranger to this MIDI thing, either! What program do you use for your sequencing?

I used to use Cakewalk but have Logic Audio now. I've been doing only acoustic stuff lately so I havent even tried sequencing on it yet.

I used to only do electronic music but in the last year started playing guitar to try and shake things up creatively.

cool. I've been a guitarist for almost 30 years now! I'm still kinda lookin for the perfect MIDI sequencer. I like to use MIDI to write drums, cuz it's easy, but then I'd like to be able to import the MIDI drum parts into something and assign samples to the notes, and so far I haven't been able to find anything that does that. At least not on a 233Mhz puter! I'm in the same boat as you, though. I do mostly acoustic stuff, and I generally don't need more than 4 or 5 tracks, so Cool Edit Pro works just fine on my machine for audio. I'll keep searchin"! I just installed Linux on my machine today, so that might open up a few doors. Take care!
Ed

eeek, dont think Linux will help you much.

Sonar is probably one of the easiest Midi/Audio programs to use for the PC. You might try FruityLoops or Reason. They will let you use downloaded samples to play with your sequences.

Your comp is your main problem. If you could at least get a 500mhz system with Win98 you could do a lot more. Although I was doing 8tracks plus midi on a 100mhz win95 box years ago...

Back