Midi routing

jonax

I have cakewalk PA9, slaved to a 1680, which works great, my pc has two 'ins' and 'outs' but when I try to introduce a midi signal from the VDrums on the other 'in', PA9 freezes up! Do I have to merge the two midi 'ins'? or do I need a midi patchbay or interface? I'm not usually this dumb, but midi has been a four-letter word in my book for quite a while! Going straight to PA9 on internal clock is no problem, but I need to run the 1680 as well, for the audio tracks. The 1680 will not slave to Cakewalk. Any help would be greatly appreciated and save a lot of hair-loss!!

It could be a problem specifically with your computer setup...

You should be able to have the 1680 on one of the MIDI in's as well as the V-Drums on the other without any difficulty...

Check the V-Drums to see if it's inadvertently sending out a "clock signal"... Lots of Drum machines (Is that what this is?) will send out timecode as well as their parts through MIDI...

When you say "introduce a signal" are you saying that you're trying to have the sounds in the VDrum triggered by PA9?(MIDI out) Or are you trying to play MIDI INTO PA9?

Assuming the VDrums is an external unit try this... -
If you only need to get the sound into PA9 Unplug the 1680 and run the MIDI info from the VDms into PA9 - Then plug in the 1680 and set PA9 to sync to the 1680...

If you're just trying to get the "Sound" from the VDms into PA9 then you don't need MIDI at all... Just play the sounds into PA9...

There are a few unanswered questions I have about what you are trying to accomplish so let me know if this helps...

Lastly, it would really help me know what the "VDrums" is... External Drum machine? Sound Module...

Sorry for my ignorance...

Thanks for your reply Riverdog, I know my post was as confusing as it can get, but I solved the problem in another way. The project I am working on consists of a bunch of midi files this guy put together, but we are trying to replace the drum tracks with the Roland VDrums which are in essence, a real drum set, only with triggered pads. The drummer needed a vocal or something to cue off, which is on the 1680 and since the 1680 will only act as the master, I am running PA9 with it, and also trying to replace the midi drum-file, but PA9 will not accept both the midi 'ins' from the 1680 and the drums. I am not using the drum clock, just the module. As I said, I have figured a way around the problem but I was really puzzled that one other module will input, but not the drum module. I am really grateful for your reply and if there is an easier way of explaining this set-up to you I will certainly post it as soon as I can put it into words!!!
Thanks again Riverdog.

Back