MIDI Right in your inter FACE!!!!!

pisces7378

Hey guys,
I am in the market for a MID interface and was just wondering what the hell the diffrence is betwen them? I mean, I can understand a few dollar diffrence but there are some for $60 and some for $600. I live in Munich Germany and can't really ask someone out right to explain it to me. So I will just explain what I am trying to do and hope that some gentle soul out there will help me.
I have the Roland JV 1010 Synth
the Roland Edirol PC300 Controler Keyboard
Audio Logic Gold 4.5
Delta 66 sound card
Delta Omni I/O Audio interface, mix, pre-amp package thing.

Now I want to record basslines mith my Synth, and drum tracks with it. I will use the notation section of Audio Gold to very carefully write the bass lines and then play the drum tracks in real time, then quantisize them and "over dub" certain parts- For example I will play the high hat and snare part together, then come back and put the kick drum in over it. Just so I don't have to be hitting 15 keys at once. Then I will quantisize it here and there and fix the bass line here and there ec... but how do I get it to plug into my computer? I need a MIDI interface. Now since I only have this one synth, I only need a 1 X 1 MIDI interface right? I have seen 4x4 and 8X8 etc... Who needs those? Really someone explain to me who uses 8 MIDI in's and outs? The Roland JV 1010 has a 64 note polyphony. So I shouldn't need anything more than a simple 1X1 right? Like the MIDIman 1X1. Or at most the 2X2 simply because it has One imput more for future growth. I have it all figured out if I can just get thsi question answered.

Thanks guys,
Mike

Well- some synths, like my Sound Canvas have two separate ports which allow you to define 32 channels of independent MIDI- which is different from the number of notes playable at one time. And if you want to use a bunch of different synths without having to repatch your setup each time you change synths, a multiple port interface comes in handy.
For instance: My 2 x 2 interface ran out of room (I had to repatch) when I wanted to add the POD, since this took one MIDI out and one MIDI in. But you're right in that if you don't have anything to plug into it, an 8 x 8 is pretty silly.

Back