MIDI recording issues

Saraliesel

Hi. I have a Roland KR-177 (it's a bit of a dinosaur) that I want to use to record MIDI into ProTools First. I currently have it hooked up to my computer via MIDI to USB cable. ProTools seems to recognize it when I go to the MIDI setup, but when I actually create an instrument track to try and record, my "USB MIDI" input is not an option. What am I doing wrong here? Do I need to send the MIDI through an interface with an actual MIDI input rather than just hooking it up to the USB port? Please help. Thanks!

You have to get the stereo outputs from the Roland into your computer somehow. To do that, you need an audio interface.
Or use a virtual synth plug-in with Protools driven by the midi data from the Roland.

If you're using it just as a midi master keyboard, it should be in the list of available devices to get input from. Is it there, but unable to be selected or missing? If missing the it's just a case of finding the driver and reinstalling. I note the latest driver is Windows 8.1, but there is also a driver clean app - which makes me wonder if this is common, so could be worth using this, then reinstalling - If you are on Windows 10, maybe this is worth checking?

Drivers? Wow. I never thought of that. Ummm ... I don't know how to do that, honestly. And as far as stereo inputs and such - I want to record MIDI, not audio. I want to be able to edit it.

I don't know about Pro Tools, but in Reaper a new Track by default is looking for Audio Input, and you'd need to change it to look for MIDI input instead. Perhaps in Pro Tools Audio Tracks and MIDI Tracks are separate things? Insert New MIDI Track? Change track Input from Mono/Stereo Audio to MIDI All Channels?

Edit: How to create a MIDI Track in Pro Tools - OBEDIA | Music Recording Software Training and Support for Home Studio | Digital Audio Workstation Training Try this link... looks like you'd need to Create a MIDI track that feeds the AUX Instrument Audio Track and Record enable your MIDI track.

Roland is a nice keyboard . Yes, any old keyboard with a midi out should be recognizable by the USB device. Be it a interface with ports or a inline adapter. Did the midi adapter install correctly? Is it selected in the midi menu's?

You are going to appreciate the editing and especially the quantization functions of midi.

There is a standalone you could try to see if it is working outside of protools.

Dexed is a DX-7 VST for free. It can run from the win10 environment.
http://www.vst4free.com/get_plug.php?win64=Dexed_win.zip

Hi. I have a Roland KR-177 (it's a bit of a dinosaur) that I want to use to record MIDI into ProTools First. I currently have it hooked up to my computer via MIDI to USB cable. ProTools seems to recognize it when I go to the MIDI setup, but when I actually create an instrument track to try and record, my "USB MIDI" input is not an option. What am I doing wrong here? Do I need to send the MIDI through an interface with an actual MIDI input rather than just hooking it up to the USB port? Please help. Thanks!

The KR 177, to my knowledge uses only DIN MIDI out and in. So You are therefore using a MIDI to USB conversion cable. It is unlikely that that the KR177 had USB drivers, but it should not need them, given that the USB is simply carrying MIDI data. This is reinforced with PT seeming to recognize it.

So I feel the problem lies within PT somewhere, and that's where I come to a halt, because I'm not a PT user (I use Reaper).

However, if you have further aspirations for recording and would like to venture beyond recording and editing your MIDI, it may be worth your while investing in an interface that provides audio and midi facilities (and specifically, DIN in and out for MIDI).

Doing this will allow you to:

record your midi via KR117 midi out to interface midi in;
edit your midi in whatever DAW you use
playback your edited midi into the KR117 via interace midi out to KR177 midi in
record the audio of your edited midi via the audio inputs of the interface.

Back