Midi problem: what can i do to fix latency besides the buffer size?

oceanicliving

I have a psr e203 yamaha keyboard with in and out midi and i am using an m-audio midi usb connector to my computer. I am using it with reason 3.04. It triggers my guitar riffs that i imported from cakewalk just fine. but when i want to use it to trigger the various patches of the devices such as the subtractor i get what i think is called latency. What happens is I am not able to play a steady flow of notes instead I have to wait 3 or 4 seconds before hitting another note for it to trigger a sound. which makes it pretty impossible to play a song. I have tried adjusting the buffer size and the latency compensation and it has not solved the problem. what should i try next??

Last edited:
Three seconds isn't latency, it's more like a system or interface problem.
Here's some stuff to try for the system:
http://www.musicxp.net/tuning_tips.php

The interface itself may be swamped with a sudden burst of data, in which case the driver may be deliberately lagging things, but that's just speculation on my part. You might try looking for info on that, though.

How old is the computer? What kind of drivers does the sound device have?

This is a classic latency issue, Hugo H. Non-WDM or ASIO drivers simply can't get the output of softsynths in response to MIDI message through fast enough to make them playable in real-time. You must have WDM or ASIO drivers to have a prayer of being able to play softsynths in realtime.

Back