MIDI pitchwheel on keybord trigger

William Choi

Hellow, I'd like to know how a pitchwheel would be configured on a MIDI triggering device.
I have seen them on million dollar keyboards as well as cheap 100 dollar devices.
What I'd like to know is how it interfaces with the PC.
Question:
would a midi triggering keyboard only pitchbend a certain amount up and down?(+12semitones -12 semitones or other values) or is it configurable?

Question:
Using a keyboard MIDI trigger with soundfonts, will it still allow you to pitch bend the same amount? or is it limited to the amount that the software lets you.

Why I ask? Well, it is imparitive that i should be able to control my expressions. because sometimes I would like the max or min positions of the pitchwheel to hit a fifth or seventh depending on what scale Im playing.

Im really pretty much relating the keyboard MIDI trigger pitchwheel to a guitar effect like the Digitech Whammy where there are some preset scales that you could bend with the expression controller. That kind of pitchbend allows you to do some pretty amazing scale bending even for a guitar.

anyways.
Im just wondering if every type of midi keyboard pitches the same way. It would be ashame if I bought a keyboard that could only bend 1 note up while there's another that would bend a full octave.

My cheapo Yamaha keyboard has onboard configuration of the pitch bend one semitone at a time up to an octave.
Just try before you buy.

William, The pitchbend on a midi keyboard controller
is not usually adjustable, but the synths and sound
modules they control are. Most Synths or Modules
will have a pitch bend edit, where you can adjust
up or down in semitones, up to twelve semitones
(one Octave).

The Modulation wheel settings can be edited to, and
assigned to different things other than
Modulation. Good Luck, David

Hey, DRSTAWL. What model is it do you know? Is it an old model?
I was just hoping to just use it for my software programs and softsynths.
I won't be buying any modules any time soon.
Because I don't think many programs (the ones that I have at least) have any way of setting pitch bending parameters, I might need to look for a keyboard that allows you to set and program parameters internally.

Back