midi keyboard or electric piano?

daveblue222

im looking to invest in a midi keyboard but have just realized that i could possibly use my yamaha eletric piano (not sure of the model as i dont use it much, one of the ones you buy from a music shop when you begin lessons)

it has midi in and out. id imagine alot of people who play piano/keyboards have one or a synth. so basicly my question is. is it worth buying a seperate piece of kit when you can do the same job with what you have?

space is probably a big advantage with 25 key controllers, and another advantage is the edit buttons/knobs etc.. im just not sure whether to invest or not

???? help!!

go ahead and get your feet wet with the yamama is it one of the bigger ones with weighted keys??? one problem with lower end keyboards is they dont utilize the full midi spec... so you'll find things like after touch aren't supported...

im looking to invest in a midi keyboard but have just realized that i could possibly use my yamaha eletric piano (not sure of the model as i dont use it much, one of the ones you buy from a music shop when you begin lessons)

it has midi in and out. id imagine alot of people who play piano/keyboards have one or a synth. so basicly my question is. is it worth buying a seperate piece of kit when you can do the same job with what you have?

space is probably a big advantage with 25 key controllers, and another advantage is the edit buttons/knobs etc.. im just not sure whether to invest or not

???? help!!

If your yamaha has midi in/out, then it will be fine. You just need a midi interface (current controllers commonly do this via USB).

Start off with your Yamaha. Then, when you find a burning need for extra midi controls, invest in a little controller and park it on top of the yamaha.

yep its one of the semi weighted type keyboards. my interface is a firestudio project. so i just need a midi cable. well have a go with this then maybe invest in the m-audio axiom or something similar

cheers

Back