Which MIDI Keyboard Controller?

plopooer

I'm not sure which MIDI Keyboard Controller to buy. I've used M-AUDIO Keystation 49e for a while and am now looking for something bigger and better. I mostly use Cubase 5 (full) with VST instruments in a small home studio.

Initially the M-AUDIO Axiom Pro 61 seemed to be the right upgrade but since then I've seen a few more but can't find a quick product comparison to help me decide. Which one of these do you think will work best for my needs and why?

1. M-AUDIO Axiom AIR 61
2. M-AUDIO Axiom Pro 61
3. M-AUDIO Axiom 61 - New
4. M-AUDIO Oxygen 61
5. or something else around the mid-price range?

Thanks for your help. :)

Of the ones you listed the two to consider are the Axiom 61 and and the Axiom AIR 61. The Axiom Pro series are already discontinued and there was some talk of problems with them. I use an Axiom 25 - the old one - and I really like the keys. They say in a NAMM vid that they haven't changed the keys for the AIR 61 and that's a good thing. The Musicians Friend web site has a preorder 'expected in April' on the AIR 61, which means it's not quite out yet.

So - if you can wait a few months, the AIR 61 seems like the thing to get. If not, grab the Axiom 61 HERE.

Perhaps another to consider is the Novation Impulse 61 which is a little more pricey.
There are several good reviews of the Impulse series around if you Google "Novation Impulse review".
Many comment upon the "feel "of the keyboard being better than average.
It has the advantage of having channel after touch and also being splittable into zones.
Of course it depends how much you will "play" the instrument.
Just some thoughts.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions. I did suspect that the Axiom Pro 61 was discontinued because the price has dropped a lot and the new AIR 61 is a bit more expensive. Axiom Pro 61 is still listed as a current product on the M-AUDIO web site. I will have a look at the others... e.g. Novation Impulse 61
:cool:

Back