MIDI input problem XP & Midisport4x4

carelessorc

When I start an application (e.g. Pro Tools Cakewalk or MIDIOX) after a few seconds the application stops detecting midi input. I have tried different input devices (keyboard, drum machine) with the same result. The 4x4 is showing an input signal, but the software doesn't seem to detect it.
It's driving me bananas. Hellllp!
I'm using an Athlon 64 3400+ with XP SP2

Orc

Well I sorted the problem - I think.
And it is weird - in the USB socket next to the M/Sport 4x4 was a cable which wasn't actually connected to anything. When I removed it -hey presto everything works like it should.
I'm still mystified - why should a USB cable which is not connected to anything be causing a problem? (For the record the cable belongs to my Packard Bell scanner, and the only slightly unusual thing about it is it has a cylinder near one end, which I assume is some kind of intereference suppressor).
I share this so that someone else may be spared a wasted weekend!
I spent valuable drinking time on this ARRRGH!

Orc

carelessorc said:
I spent valuable drinking time on this ARRRGH!
Did you get pulled away from your computer just as you were about to characterize the thing or things that you spent valuable drinking time on?

That's awful!

Are you OK now? Able to continue your post?

;) ;) ;)

....sorry.. yes I'm fine now..just suffering the usual post technical problem blues: you know: you spend what feels like a couple of hours trying to sort a computer problem, and when you emerge the rest of the world has advanced two days.
But I will battle on.
I will not let the dark side overwhelm me - I will not let the dark side overwhelm me - I will not...

:)

Back