Midi Guitar

knute

Is an interface available that will convert my guitar ( elec ) to midi rather then having to use a midi keyboard to input so that I can use some of the automatic notation software thats out there ?

Yes. The most commonly-used device is the Roland GK2AH divided pickup that provides a signal that the Roland GR-33 guitar synth can respond to and output MIDI messsages from. There are some other units that can work with the same signal.

It's expensive, though, and requires a careful playing style to play it reliably.

See http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/love.music?p=p.ROLGK2A&z=1535066774534 for the pickup and http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/love.music?p=p.ROLGR33&z=1535066774534 for the synth brain.

midi guitar

Thanks for the fast reply and info on the Roland pick-up. Are you familiar with the new Pod XT from Line6 ? They've added a digital recording interface and "Midi Capabilities" ...but I'm not too sure what that means. I'm wondering if this unit would alow me to make the conversion ?

If you mean play guitar hooked to Line6 will transform your playing to MIDI signal, then it wont. It has MIDI capabilities to send and recieve it's internal setting thru MIDI. So if you have MIDI device to record & save MIDI system exclusive data (PC, some models of keyboard, etc...) then you can dump the setting of your Line 6 to your MIDI recorder. In case you want to recall the setting, then load it up, and send them back to Line6. Digital recording interface here reffer to that optical digital output beside regular analog L/R output. Here you can hook the output straight to your recording machine suporting digital input. This way, you'll keep the signal in digital domain rather than in analog line, to reduce the degradation of your signal. ;) I see no other better way to use than Roland's GK2 MIDI pickup... :)

James has basically got it, although the POD XT's digital recording interface is a USB connection that can pretty much only be used with a computer.

Other MIDI guitar alternatives include

midi guitar

Thanks again ...I have been trying out various recording software demos ( Cool Edit Pro, Cubase VST, Cakewalk ), but without much music theory behind me, what I was looking for was the ability to get the actual music notation down. So I've played with demo's of Finale Allegro 2002 and the like. In order to take advantage of their automatic notation in real time they require the input to be typically from a midi keyboard. But, in a footnote in the literature it says a midi -equipped guitar also can work... You have helped me, I guess I thought there was alittle more hardware out there.. And the stuff that would do the best job for me is $1000+... I may look into the Roland pick-up if it will interface with some of the recording software I mentioned earlier.

Back