MIDI Editing Software

RonL

I need to edit some MIDI files. Basically I need to remove the lead instruments so that I will end up having a backing track. I do not own a keyboard that could do this but prefer to do it on my computer.

Are there anysoftware that will allow me to do this? Thanks.

RonL

If your looking for a cheap program for midi only, you can check out your local major software store for a midi program or a more advanced program from a music store or just download a demo version of Cubase, Cakewalk, etc...

I have Cakewalk Guitar Track Pro but not sure if it could manage MIDI (I am a newbie). However I could playback the modified MIDI on Yamaha XG-player and record it on Guitar Track Pro, but then the resultan track would not be a MIDI file anymore.

Guitar Tracks Pro will certainly handle MIDI just fine; if you already have it, you've got all you need.

AlChuck said:
Guitar Tracks Pro will certainly handle MIDI just fine; if you already have it, you've got all you need.

AlChuck said... ;)
And make sure you save the file as .MID not .wrk files.

I cannot open any MIDI files with Guitar Track Pro (blush). Is there something I should know? :(

RonL

??? The only thing I can imagine is that the MIDI files you can't open are in some proprietry format rather than Standard MIDI files.

MIDI is not listed as a file that could be opened by the program per the drop down list. Are we talking about another Cakewalk program or Sonar?

RonL

Well, I took a look at the info at Cakewalk's website, and they don't even mention MIDI at all with Guitar Tracks... I thought it was just a Lite version of SONAR, but I guess I was wrong... could it be that it really does not play or record MIDI data?

Thanks for the confirmation AlChuck. Maybe I should upgrade to Sonar if it is not too hard to work with.

Cheers

RonL

Back