midi dummy

diane

Hello. I have a midi keyboard and controller hooked up to my soundcard, a SB Live that came with my gateway. I am using Cakewalk. My computer is a Gateway PIII. I cannot for the life of me get Cakewalk to record a midi track. What dumb things am I failing to do? I tried all the midi input settings in Cakewalk (I think). Cakewalk will play a sample midi out of my pc speakers... but my midi keyboard isn't talking to my pc or vice versa.

Any helpful suggestions?
thanks.
diane

make sure nothing is muted or says "M" in the box to the left of your track and it says "R"...

see if your outs and ins are backward on your keyboard...

read the manual on how to setup your input ports ...your output ports seem ok if your playing back...

if this doesnt work let me know...

it all seems like a pain in the ***now but in short order you'll be up and running and you'll be amazed at what you can do....

Man do I feel silly. Who'd a thunk in goes into out and out goes into in???? Okay so maybe it makes sense to electrono geeks... It's working now. On to the next equally horrendous step, using my speakers for output, not the keyboard.

Diane

I had the exact same setup you have now..a sound blaster, a pc and cakewalk and used it for a long time and believe me I am by no means a techno geek,nor was I ever so if I can figure it out anybody can...you said you have a midi keyboard and controller...so do you have two keyboards or one..?? and also, you have midi and audio outputs ....midi outputs only transfer bytes or computer information...
audio outputs will take the completed signal and fire it to your speakers for real live playback...its not as horrendous as you think...if you have a midi controller and thats all it is is a controller it only has midi outputs....what type of keyboard do you have....??

Back