Midi Controller Keyboard or use a regular keyboard?

Thines

I'm using Cubase 6 and a Scarlett Studio interface. I haven't bought a midi controller keyboard yet. I've been trying to use my Yamaha el-cheapo keyboard as a controller, but what I'm getting sounds awful. Is a good midi controller board neccessary?

Are you using the Yamaha as an output device or as an input device?
In Cubase and most sequencers you can set your keyboard as an input.
Then set you output to a better output device, VST host, soundcard or soft synth.

I've been trying to use my Yamaha el-cheapo keyboard as a controller, but what I'm getting sounds awful.
"Using as a controller," to me, means you're using it generate MIDI notes, which you're recording - as MIDI - in your DAW project.

In which case saying the result "sounds awful," is a bit odd. Kind of like saying that when you use a different computer keyboard your grammar looks awful.

But it might make some sense. If your el-cheapo doesn't even sense velocity, for example, you'll wind up with every note having exactly the same velocity which - at least for some parts - could sound pretty awful. Same thing if it is velocity sensitive, but the velocity curve is so flat in the relevant area that there's virtually no variation from note to note.

Other characteristics of a keyboard controller also affect its usability, but they'd generally be so obvious to you that you wouldn't be asking about them. For example:
- A tiny little keyboard isn't going to sound very good when you try to play keys that don't exist.
- The feel of the keys may bother you and reduce your ability to vary the dynamics or play fast passages, e.g. if they're mushy and you're used to playing a grand piano.

In other words: if you're a trained classical pianist, you won't be able to play Chopin well on a controller with 25 mushy little key, but that fact and the reasons would be immediately apparent.

Bottom line is, it's hard to say anything specific without knowing:
- What Yamaha el-cheapo keyboard?
- Necessary for what?

I was using a Yamaha YPT-240. I just purchased a Novation Launchkey-61 midi keyboard and I like it very much. Cubase is recognizing it, but sometimes, while I"m playing, the sound will degrade or I'll get an intense buzzing coming through my monitors. I usually close down everything and restart, but I was wondering if this is a regular problem.

If I use a 32-bit VSD Instrument in my 64-bit system, does that create a problem?

Here is my setup: Toshiba laptop, Intel Pentium 2.5 Ghz processor, 6 GB memory 64-bit
Focusrite Scarlett Studio (2i2) Interface
Cubase LE-6 (Came with the Scarlett Studio; still deciding on whether to upgrade)
Novation Launchkey-61 midi keyboard
Rockit 6" monitors

Thines, slow down a little. Breathe. Take it one step at a time. And you can't buy knowledge.

This is complicated stuff and you can't expect to be an expert right away.

I've never tried running the 64-bit version of Reaper (my digital audio workstation) even though I have a computer capable of doing so. Most of my VST and VSTi plugins are 32 bit and if I was to start running the 64-bit version of Reaper I would be limited to 64-bit plugins. This is a long way of saying that I don't know where your intense buzzing is coming from, but my first guess wouldn't be running a 32-bit plugin in a 64-bit system. It's probably a loose connection somewhere either in your interface, your speakers or your new controller keyboard.

My advice would be to work with what you have for a month or so. That way you can make some informed decisions on what you should add. If you keep buying new gear at this fevered pace you'll pile one new thing on top of another new thing and never really take the time to learn how to use any of it.

Then you'll get overwhelmed and give up.

Slow down and learn midi basics first. That's as good a place as any to start. Then move onto the audio side of Cubase. If you can't conquer Cubase LE-6 you're not ready to upgrade, and Cubase LE-6 is a fine piece of software tailored to the needs of someone like you who's just starting to learn the big world of digital audio workstations.

I started with an Atari ST in 1985 and I still don't know nearly everything there is to know about this big, beautful world of computer music!

If I am not mistaken, Reaper supports 32 and 64 bit plug ins in their 64 bit installation (Reaper has a bridge built in). I have a 64 bit DAW that doesn't so I purchased a bridge ($20) and all my VSTs work (32 and 64).

Just check to see if that is an issue.

I was using a Yamaha YPT-240. I just purchased a Novation Launchkey-61 midi keyboard and I like it very much. Cubase is recognizing it, but sometimes, while I"m playing, the sound will degrade or I'll get an intense buzzing coming through my monitors. I usually close down everything and restart, but I was wondering if this is a regular problem.

If I use a 32-bit VSD Instrument in my 64-bit system, does that create a problem?

Here is my setup: Toshiba laptop, Intel Pentium 2.5 Ghz processor, 6 GB memory 64-bit
Focusrite Scarlett Studio (2i2) Interface
Cubase LE-6 (Came with the Scarlett Studio; still deciding on whether to upgrade)
Novation Launchkey-61 midi keyboard
Rockit 6" monitors

Of all the equipment I've owned, I found midi controllers to be the worst of quality. I had 2 defective right out of the box. (Granted they were not expensive models)

Do what you can to trouble shoot, but don't drive yourself crazy if its something you can easily exchange.

I have a 61note M-audio Keystation working nice, but its the second one.

Of all the equipment I've owned, I found midi controllers to be the worst of quality. I had 2 defective right out of the box. (Granted they were not expensive models)

Do what you can to trouble shoot, but don't drive yourself crazy if its something you can easily exchange.

I have a 61note M-audio Keystation working nice, but its the second one.

This is a good point. I have had almost instant failure from two pad controllers from Akai. The cheap ones. Though the MPD18 has been solid, I am still expecting it to fail at $90 price. Yeah, drummers hit things hard sometimes. Some kind of Neanderthal thing I suppose...

I'm not sure what's going on with the buzzing. I realize now it isn't the 32/64 bit dilemma. I can play all of the 32-bit VST's in my Cubase. When it happens, I will usually record two or three tracks and then, right in the middle of a third or fourth, I'll get the buzzing sound. I usually save, close, and restart Cubase and it stops.

I can't help but go at things with a full head of steam. That's why I ask tons of questions (even if some are ridiculous), but that's what helps me learn. Cubase gave me the grandfather deal, so I upgraded to Cubase 7. Thanks for the tips.

Back