MIDI controller comparison

Maxwell13

Hey guys,

This is my first post on here (other than one i posted last night introducing myself)

Im new to recording and am saving up to buy a bunch of new essential equipment for my small project studio

Im buying
-a new mic (or two)
-new headphones
-monitors
-a new (larger) interface for recording a full drumset when needed
-a midi controller (for midi sounds and controlling mixes)

My question is on midi controllers. ive been looking at Nektar's P1 and P4 models but the guy im purchasing my gear from doesnt carry nektar and i can save money by buying everything together so im exploring my other options. he suggested i look at Novation's IMPULSE and and SL MKII models. Ive also heard the M-Audio Axiom AIR is decent.

How do these compare to Nektar's models?

If i was to get just a control surface (without the keys) i would get a separate small desktop keyboard and maybe some control pads later on for midi drum stuff.

Im not so fond of using a mouse to control levels and such. it just doesnt seem natural to me for some reason (not sure if others will agree with me on that one.)

Im currently using Cubase Elements to record with but may either switch over to Logic X Pro (if i get the macbook im wanting for christmas) or maybe Cubase Artist later on. Thoughts on this too are appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

Back