MIDI - analog sync issue

whymark

Hi I'm Mark and I'm addicted to music and home recording!.., I play a Yamaha Disklavier which allows me to create/record real-time MIDI files while I play. I can also lift MIDI files from the internet and have the Disklavier play them back. OK, so I'm working on a project and want to combine the analog signal with the digital MIDI signal. I have the Disklavier play back the project and capture it with two mics through a Steinberg UR44 and into Cubase element 7. I then import the SAME MIDI file into the SAME project where the former analog signal now resides. OK, two tracks. I line the starting notes up within 0.001 seconds, hit the play button and VOLLA, within two measures the two tracks are noticeable out of sync and getting worse as the tune progresses. If the NOTE ON and NOTE OFF commands are exactly the same ( or so I used to think) then why the out-of-sync issue?? I've been reading about FRAME RATE but, haven't really gotten my arms around the concept yet

FREE double meat jalepeno-bacon-cheese burgers to all who can help.....many thanks

Mark

Those two clocks are only going to line up on accident unless you force one of them to lock onto the other. At minimum, you should probably connect MIDI out of the computer to the in on the keyboard and get the DAW to send MTC and the keyboard to follow it as you're recording the audio.

OTOH, you could just send the MIDI notes from the DAW rather than playing the sequence back from the keyboard.

The UR44 has midi, so:

plan A: record the piano's audio as you have been doing, and, at the same time, capture the midi through the UR44.

plan B: import the song's midi into cubase, route the midi to the piano, hit play and record the piano's audio as it plays the midi (as Ashcat suggested)

I guess you can use either of the clocks as the master, but there can be only one. Either send the MTC from cubase to the piano as you're recording the audio, or from the piano to cubase. Then they'll agree as closely as possible as to where the MIDI and audio are supposed to line up. I really don't understand why you wouldn't go with what gecko is calling Plan B, though.

not quite there....yet

I thought I had replied yesterday but, don't see it posted....will try again....I tried the EZ way out first...piano MIDI OUT to UR44 MIDI IN...opened Cubase and record enabled two audio tracks and one MIDI track....started recording and got signals on both audio tracks and the MIDI track.....after recording I opened the key editor on the MIDI track which was blank....sort of a phantom recording I guess....Opened new project in CUbase and I've now got the UR44 MIDI OUT to the piano MIDI IN...piano MIDI settings are REMOTE ON and LOCAL OFF so CUbase controls the clock....I imported the MIDI file into cubase and added two audio tracks....that's as far as I've gotten....I'm not sure how to route the MIDI into to the piano and reading the ops manual just gives me a headache of gargantuan proportions.....I'm in need of a little more hand-holding here.....thanks for your assistance with all of this....make that many thanks
mark

Ok, got it!

the piano has a DRM (Data Record Mode) function which allows it to record MIDI data from an external source....way cool now that I know where it is......I imported the MIDI file into Cubase and added two audio files. I enabled recording on the two audio files...... The piano was also in a RECORD PAUSE mode.....when I enabled RECORD and hit PLAY on the transport bar the piano started playing guided by the imported MIDI file.....I had to make one minor adjustment to line up the audio and MIDI tracks and the tune is in perfect sync.....I think this is Plan B as set forth you two and I got it working :thumbs up:...thanks a bunch....how do you want your burgers cooked????
mark

Back