MIDI active but only makes audio when Cubase MIDI editor open

kerriobrown

In Cubase I cannot get my MIDI keyboard to sound notes unless the key editor for the given track is active (i.e. the key (midi) editor is the front window and is the last window that has been clicked on).

As a note: MIDI activity is seen at all times when pressing keys, but they sound only in the aforementioned scenario.

I use Cubase SX3 and sometime Reason 4 via Rewire. I record Audio thru an M-Audio Delta AP192 PCI soundcard which works fine.

My M-Audio Ozone acts as the keyboard and MIDI Controller (it can record audio too but I don't use it for that) and can be either connected thru USB to the PC, or via MIDI Out connected to the AP192 soundcard.

I've tried all of the things mentioned in this sticky. I've also: tried using MIDI and/or USB as the connection; tried having the MIDI in for the given MIDI track be either the AP192's MIDI or the Ozone's MIDI, and driver updates. Nothing helps.

Any ideas? BTW, M-Audio tech support and driver updates are horrendous

Thanks,
Kerrio
ReverbNation

Update- I tried out another MIDI Controller which had the same issue. Reason standalone did not have the issue, so it seems the problem is w/ Cubase. I checked and made sure I wasn't filtering any MIDI channels and I don't see any options in the Cubase Key Editor that seem like they would make MIDI only work if the Key editor was active

Back