Mic/Line Signals and DI Boxes

Perceval

I have a Spirit FX 16 mixer and I have access to a 50' or 100' snake (16 XLR sends and 4 - TRS returns). If I want to use the snake to record line instruments (e.g., PODs, keyboards, electronic drums, etc.) then what do I need? Active and passive direct boxes, Lo Z adapters??? If a DI Box, what brand and model would you recommend?

Directions to a useful thread or your sage advice is most welcomed!!! Thanks

Probably get more response under Recording techniques - most of what people post here is more oriented toward MIDI stuff, keyboards, drum machines, etc... Steve

BTW, the cleanest way (if you don't have hum problems doing it this way) is to get XLR to phone adapters and run the line level output direct to the board. Im not familiar with your mixer, so if its XLR connectors are mic input only you'd have to adapt at both ends of the snake. Any time you use a transformer DI, you are affecting the freq response slightly (or more, depending on the quality of the transformer) - good audio transformers aren't cheap, so sometimes avoiding transformers entirely is better.

If DI boxes are necessary and you're either rich or don't need too many, the Countryman line are well thought of. I have half a dozen or so of Whirlwind's Imp boxes, they're about $45 or so - have a ground lift, XLR, and 2 phone plugs so you can loop thru if necessary. I've not actually swept them for freq response, but have never heard them sound bad.

If you need several channels, another option would be one of Ebtech's 8 channel isolators or line level shifters - these just use passive transformers, basically just 8 of the whirlwinds in one single rack unit for about $200-300, don't remember exactly. Go to one of the many web music stores and do a search on Ebtech if you're interested.

If you're running out of un-balanced gear over a snake, then some kind of DI box with transformers will keep you from picking up much hum, and would probably be a better way than using adapters. The balanced audio lines stay much cleaner over longer distances.

Hope that helped some... Steve

Back