Keyboard USB to MIDI

wkrbee

Simple/dumb question.If my keyboard only has USB out-no MIDI, will a cheap USB to MIDI converter work to control an external sound module with only MIDI in/outs?

I'm afraid they work the other way. midi to USB is the norm. Haven't ever run across one that converts the digital signal in USB into midi stream. I could be wrong.

Many of the USB-MIDI adapters that I've seen advertised have a USB on one end and a MIDI IN and MIDI OUT on the other end-- e.g.:

Amazon.com: HDE USB MIDI Cable Converter PC to Music Keyboard: Musical Instruments
Amazon.com: VicTsing USB IN-OUT MIDI Cable Converter PC to Music Keyboard Adapter Cord: Everything Else
Amazon.com: M-Audio USB Midisport Uno MIDI Interface: Electronics

I don't know why they'd have both MIDI IN and MIDI OUT if the signal isn't meant to go in both directions. But I've never needed to use one of these, so I have no experience with them.

The idea behind a USB-MIDI adapter is to get your midi gear into and out of the computer (like a midi interface). I don't believe it will take the audio signal from your USB out keyboard and change it to midi. You're welcome to try. Some of them run just a few dollars...nothing ventured-you know. I have been wrong a few times in the past.
Better yet, call Sweetwater and ask a pro.

You can't hook a usb keyboard to a sound module.

usb needs to go into a computer; it may then be possible to route the midi back out to a sound module tho...

Simple/dumb question.If my keyboard only has USB out-no MIDI, will a cheap USB to MIDI converter work to control an external sound module with only MIDI in/outs?

Unfortunately not.
One needs to understand that USB (not MIDI) is driven by a controller chip.
(That's for USB standards 1.1 (the earliest) and 2.0, USB 3 is different, more of this later.)

This controller chip administers the flow of data back and forth.
The, much cheaper, responder chip sits at the other end and answers only when it's spoken to.
It's often referred to as a master/slave relationship.

Your keyboard has a responder chip in it, indicated by the fact that it has a square(ish) socket.
The computer has the controller chip indicated by the rectangular socket.

A standard USB to MIDI converter takes commands issued by the computer, extracts the MIDI data from it and forwards it to the MIDI out socket.
When a keyboard sends MIDI data the converter has to wait (a fraction of a second) to be asked by the computer whether there's any input data for it.
Sadly it can't work in reverse.

However, you might be able to route the MIDI from the keyboard through e.g. a laptop and straight out to a sound module via conventional MIDI ports.
That, or a special adapter by Kenton.

USB 3 works equally in both directions if connected to another USB 3 device.
If the device is USB 2 or 1.1, the USB 3 port drops back into that mode of working.

Any help?
John.

Back