How to set an active instrument?

Cal D

I am confused. I created a midi file using band in the box. When I load the midi into Cool Edit multi track view, I am able to highlight the midi, right click on it and choose the active track, This enables me to pick which instrument that i want to play from the midi file.

I downloaded some midi files recently and tried to do the same thing. With the midi files I downloaded, CEP does not show me the "set the active track" feature when I right click.

How can I get Cool Edit to allow me to isolate one instrument from a midi file?

Thanks

I'm not familiar with CEP to know it's MIDI capabilities, but Standard Midi Files (SMF's) come in two main versions, type 1 and type 2. Normally, online SMF's are type 1, which has ALL MIDI info on ONE track. Type 2's use 16 MIDI tracks, one for each channel.

Normally, to make much in the way of changes you need to have the ability to change a type 1 into a type 2. Cakewalk and most upper end sequencers can do this very easily, but I'm not sure about CEP - From what little I DO know about CEP, it didn't have much MIDI capability so you may not be able to change SMF types with CEP.

I would search its help files for SMF, channel breakout, etc, and see what's available.

If you can't do it with CEP, maybe a friend has higher end MIDI software and can convert the file for you?

You should be able to import the midi file into Biab (or any other software) then solo the instrutment. Then Minimize the screen.
Then arm the track in cep and choose your input and output devices. Hit record. Then bring up Biab and hit play.
I do it all the time with Jammerpro and cakewalk.

Back