how to connect several midi devices to 1 PC with DAW?

the_doc735

my:
akai MPD 32
Line 6 POD X3
focusrite-scarlett-18i20
M-Audio Axiom 49
Novation ZeRO SL Mkll

...ALL have midi ports as well as USB 2.

How do i connect all these midi ports to the PC? (e.g. daisy chain? in series?)...
OR ...could I just use the USB 2 instead?

...the person that sold me the 'POD' said I need midi for patch transfer?

many thanks!

Attachments

• Akai MPD 32 rear.jpg
    Akai MPD 32 rear.jpg
    746.8 KB · Views: 9
  • M-Audio Axiom 49 rear.jpg
    M-Audio Axiom 49 rear.jpg
    841.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Novation ZeRO SL Mkll rear.jpg
    Novation ZeRO SL Mkll rear.jpg
    668.7 KB · Views: 8
  • line-6-x3-live .jpg
    line-6-x3-live .jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 10
  • focusrite-scarlett-18i20 .jpg
    focusrite-scarlett-18i20 .jpg
    75 KB · Views: 9
They all have USB connectivity, so the easiest way to have them separate and selectable within a DAW is via USB. That way each can be assigned as an input (or output) device on a particular track.

However, that's a lot of USB slots, so with luck a USB hub would work.

Your controllers can go on a hub, your interface would be best to plug in direct to the computer. Your M-Audio Axiom 49 you could use the MIDI ports from your interface.

Based on my experience, plugging in your keyboard to the interface will give you less delay when playing "live".

I don't see where you gain anything. If you had sound modules it would make sense, but while you have MIDI devices, you really just have controllers. You should have all of the ports you need. USB on everything except the keyboard.

I don't see where you gain anything. If you had sound modules it would make sense, but while you have MIDI devices, you really just have controllers. You should have all of the ports you need. USB on everything except the keyboard.

No, the keyboard does have USB as well. Also, the person that sold me the 'POD' said I need midi for patch transfer (not USB)?

OK, main point here is, you really don't need the MIDI. I could see it if you had sound modules and you needed to daisy chain with channels. But for your set up, I don't see the upside to using MIDI except on you POD, that you can plug into your interface.

...should I use only USB or only MIDI on each device (not both)? e.g. would plugging both midi and USB into the keyboard at the same time cause an 'issue'/glitch of some kind or are they happy to work together (in unison)?

cheers!

...should I use only USB or only MIDI on each device (not both)? e.g. would plugging both midi and USB into the keyboard at the same time cause an 'issue'/glitch of some kind or are they happy to work together (in unison)?

cheers!

Plugging both midi and USB is not of itself a problem.

Where you could run into difficulties is when you are recording a keyboard that has both connected and you select all midi inputs. You will then get two notes recorded for every key stroke, one via midi cable, and one via USB. You then get notes phasing or cutting each other out and you have to go through the process of getting rid of duplicated notes.

Back