how can I play spectrasonics Atmosphere?

hoodleehoo

I have an old O2 usb midi controller and I installed Atmosphere on my PC and am trying to figure out a way to play it. I used to use it with protools, but my mbox no longer works. I'm not wanting to do any recording really, I just want to be able to play and use the Atmosphere sounds for fun. I enjoy just playing around with it.

What options do I have for this? Is it possible at all?

It's complicated.

Firstly, you need to get your O2 to talk to your PC. This is usually done through an interface that has midi inputs (such as the mbox). You can also get a very simple midi interface that would so the trick, see:

Roland UM-ONE mk2 USB MIDI Interface | MIDI Interfaces - Store DJ

Secondly, you may need a DAW such as Protools in which to load Atmosphere. If you still have Protools, once you get the interface you should be fine.

However, if you are without Protools, you will need an alternative. Any contemporary DAW should be able to host a VSTi, but if you have used Atmosphere within Protools, it most likely will be an RTAS plugin which won't work outside PT (that I know of). With luck, Atmosphere will be like some plugins that come with a variety of installable formats. Otherwise you will have to hunt for PT.

Thanks for the response! Atmosphere is a VST plugin. I think it can be used as a RTAS as well. I'm having trouble figuring out how to make it work in Reaper though.

The MIDI keyboard I have is a usb midi controller so with the driver it should connect with the PC. The computer registers the input from the MIDI in Reaper, although I'm not able to make any sound come out (I'm guessing that's a separate problem).

To make a VST work with Reaper there are a number of steps.

1 Open a new project in Reaper.
2 Click on 'Insert' on the menu bar
3 Click on 'Insert virtual instrument on new track' (This creates a new track, sets input to midi, arms it for recording and toggles monitoring on.)

This will bring up a box showing the various instruments available to you. With luck, you will see Atmosphere listed.

4 Click on Atmosphere

This will load up Atmosphere and you will see its graphic interface.

5 Play your keyboard

You should hear noises.

Hmm, I'm not hearing any of the noises no matter what instrument I put on the track. Midi info is being recorded, however. And sound comes out when I add a .wav file to a track. No sound on playback of the midi recording, though.

The atmosphere interface comes up and I can add it as an instrument, but it says "no presets" so I can't access any of the patches (which kind of makes it worthless lol).

Sure! Thanks for the help! When I click to add the atmosphere vsti to the track it makes me authorize it (every time). It says it is authorized, but when I click okay it gives me an error message. BUT, then it still adds it to my track and I can access the UI. (but there's no presets)

Attachments

• temp1.png
    temp1.png
    368.1 KB · Views: 15
  • temp2.png
    temp2.png
    55 KB · Views: 34
  • temp3.png
    temp3.png
    127.2 KB · Views: 55
  • temp4.png
    temp4.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 16
Thanks for posting those pix.

They tell me that:

1 You can record a midi signal ok.

2 Reaper knows where to find Atmosphere.

3 Atmosphere has loaded into FX ok.

The problem now narrows down to the plugin's authorisation.

I can't explain why you get an 'Atmosphere is Authorized' message, then a 'Could not find an authorization' message.

However, one thing to try is to enter the challenge number manually, rather than copy and paste. I read on the web that the copy function is sometimes strange. I don't know if it will do any good.

It seems to load even though it gives the authorization error. The problem is that it isn't detecting the sounds for some reason. :-/

Because I'm not familiar with Atmosphere, I have run out of options.

Reaper appears to have done everything ok, and midi is working fine.

Is there an Atmosphere site you can seek help from?

Back