how can i do this live?

djessence

when performing live using a mpc, how could i incorporate an effects processor to be triggered midi so that when my mc is performing at certain spots in the song, it would come on with certain effects such as delays and then to different things at different parts depending at where we are in the song...

would i need a certain effects processor that has midi ins/outs?

would i need something else to trigger it other than the mpc?

i also have a roland vs-840 and a roland vs-1680 that could be used if that would trigger it at the right time...

i want it set up so that i wouldn't have to worry about turning anything on or off, so that it would be programmed to do it...

any help will be appreciated ...thank you

Is it just for the vocal mic? Just about any midi compatable effects processor should work. They will all allow you to change patches with midi but turning them on and off cleanly will be the only challenge. If they allow you to control the wet/dry mix on the fly then you could use that to bring it in or out. If they allow midi bypass that would work also. The only problem with that is having to run the entire vocal signal through the processor all the time. It may not be that big of a deal for rap but it would depend on the quality of the processor.

You could use a digital mixer with midi control to mute/unmute the effects returns. Going with a digital mixer to blend it all would offer the most flexiblity and probably best qualty and it would also work with any midi compatable fx box.

A roland VM3100Pro is a pretty cool little mixer with a lot of automation abilities and some decent sounding effects for under $500. It's not easy to program but if you can handle reading some manuals you should be able to get it to do everything you need.

Good point Tex... What to be mentioned is your effect processor's MIDI capability. Sure it should have the MIDI in/out. Read the manual & MIDI implementation chart of the effect for detail. MIDI can handle many task, depends on what for. Dump the effect set's via MIDI to your sequencer, record em as sys exc (system exclusive) data, then you can put the sys exc command here and there at any location in the song to trigg the effect what to do at certain time. Just becarefull with large sized data, since it may causing delay/latency problem with the song being played....:rolleyes:

thanks...one question, would i need to get a separate effects processor if i were to purchase this roland mixer. or could i use the roland mixer and it's internal effects...if not, what would be a good effects processor that i could use for this application...

djessence said:
thanks...one question, would i need to get a separate effects processor if i were to purchase this roland mixer. or could i use the roland mixer and it's internal effects...if not, what would be a good effects processor that i could use for this application...

Hmm, I'm pretty sure the Roland would work for that but I'm not 100% positive. It has effects and midi scene changes but anytime you want to do complicated automation tasks there can always be little pops and glitches that can screw things up. There are usually ways around that but it takes a lot of experimentation until you figure out a way to make it work.

I can't really recomend any FX units that I would be positive could do it all the way you need. Your really going to have to just buy some stuff and make it work. Check the manuals carefully and plan out what you want to do EXACTLY before you buy and you will have a better chance of success.

Back