Help...... rookie midi question

Guernica

Hey folks,
....I have a dumbass question thats driving me nuts! I want to use a keyboard to control a drum machine that is sync'd up (midi) to a digital recorder. How would i route this? ....Im a midi dumbass ........ so please speak slowly:D

.....any help would be very much appreciated....:)

output of keyboard to input of interface. Output of interface to input of drum machine. basically a chain. simple

.......thanks for the help stealth..

.....would this require a loop? .....meaning, do i need to run a line out of the drum machine and into the keys?

......much thanks from a midi dumbass:D

Hey Guernica, how are you?

I gotta question: why are you syncing the drum machine and the recorder? Just curious (is the recorder a midi recorder/sequencer?).

Now supposing that the drum machine is the master and the recorder the slave, I would connect:

key out --> drums in ---> drums out ---->recorder in

or

key out --> drums in and keys thru (or 2nd. out)--> recorder in

Midi thru is useful to pass midi information that comes into a device to others. What I don't remember is if it also passes the info that the particular device generates. I guess it does, but check it. If you use a midi thru, you can record not only the drum machine's channel but also other channels from the keyboard.

Cheers, Andrés

....thanks for getting back to me man:)

I have a drum part that i worked out on the drm machine using a few of its presets. Unfortunately to manipulate the presets (level, decay, etc.), I have to use a key board controller for access. I already have the drum machine synced up to my recorder.

.....so to summarize,
I want to be able to play the drum "song" that i have programmed on the machine. I want to keep it midi sync'ed to my recorder. I want to be able to work on the parts of the song accessable only through an outside controller, w/ the controller.

does that make sense?

thanks man,
g

I'm gonna assume from your comments so far, that you have a stand-alone digital workstation, such as a roland or fostex or whatever - I also assume that the way you talk about it, you're using the recorder as the MASTER, and the drum machine has to sync to the recorder - several of these standalone recorders can OUTPUT sync, but can NOT be the SLAVE.

If my assumptions are right, then I hope your recorder has a MIDI IN - if so, the keyboard would have to be connected to that, soft thru turned on in the recorder, and the output of the recorder going to the drum machine. That way, the drum machine gets sync from the recorder, and keyboard control from the input of the recorder, THRU its output and into the drum machine.

If your recorder does NOT have a MIDI input, or for some reason won't allow you to turn on SOFT THRU in one of the menus, then the only other way I know to do this is with an external MIDI MERGE box. Here is a link to one - Musician's Friend carries the 4 and 8 input units, they may also have the two input I'm linking to.

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodmrg.htm

To use this in your situation, you would take the MIDI output of your recorder IN to the merge box #1, the keyboard MIDI output into the merge box IN #2, and the output of the merge box to the drum machine IN.

Here is the link to Musicians Friend with the 2 input unit -

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...8171099005/search/g=home/detail/base_id/45741

Hopefully your recorder lets you merge midi input, and has the soft-thru function - it's $59.99 cheaper... Steve

Back