Help a noob? Please? no sound

mozar

Hello,
I'm hoping someone can help me. I want to be able to hear the keyboard when I play it. (I want to be able to record it too but I'm taking it one step at a time).
I'm using tracktion and it does recognize that I plugged in the nektar keyboard. I can hit notes and I will see them highlighted in the piano roll. But no sound comes out. I think I will have to add a synth to change the sounds? But right now I just want to hear any sound. I have routed the track to the midi destination although I'm not sure if its the right one. I have 2 options and I don't know why. Impact GX49 or MIDIin2 (GX49). I have already watched the video about using midi in tracktion several times. I have pics but it says I have to post a few times before I can add them :-(

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• midi1.jpg
    midi1.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 27
  • midi2.jpg
    midi2.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 23
  • midi3.jpg
    midi3.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 23
Which version of Tracktion are you using?

Well, if you can see the notes in the scroll you may not need to mess with the channel.. could be you don't have your monitoring routed so you can hear the audio. Does the Tracktion have a quick-start or full user's guide where it tells you how to monitor what you're recording or playing back? Should be there.

I think I will have to add a synth to change the sounds?

Yes, you have to add a synth to hear anything. I don't know tracktion, but I didn't see any kind of sound generator in your screenshots.
Send midi output to a VSTi or soft synth. Read the manual for Tracktion to learn how.

reply2

Yes, you have to add a synth to hear anything. I don't know tracktion, but I didn't see any kind of sound generator in your screenshots.
Send midi output to a VSTi or soft synth. Read the manual for Tracktion to learn how.

OK, I see. I will try those. I'm using tracktion 7
Thankyou

I use the BitWig 8-Track that came free with my Nektar LX88+
I had the same problem.

For me:.
I could see that the DAW was receiving the MIDI statements (as you noted on the 'piano roll'?)
A had to select a device, such as polysynth...
When I selected that device for that track, it brought up a panel that showed I/O settings for the device.

The 'input' field had a list of I/O devices and it had two listing that contained my LX88

Only after selecting those did my DAW produce sound (I also had to turn on the sound engine for that window)

Frustrating the first time around.

Don't know Traktion at ALL but, there has to be a "Sound Generator" of some sort.

As a default most DAWs have an Audio record Device, Audio Play device and a MIDI output device menu and that last is generally Windows Wavetable Synth. It is horrible! Poor sounds and horrendous latency but, it should prove the data/signal path.

Once you are making horrid noises, you can investigate better ones!

Dave.

I use the BitWig 8-Track that came free with my Nektar LX88+
I had the same problem.

For me:.
I could see that the DAW was receiving the MIDI statements (as you noted on the 'piano roll'?)
A had to select a device, such as polysynth...
When I selected that device for that track, it brought up a panel that showed I/O settings for the device.

The 'input' field had a list of I/O devices and it had two listing that contained my LX88

Only after selecting those did my DAW produce sound (I also had to turn on the sound engine for that window)

Frustrating the first time around.

I guess I could try bitwig. I'm desperate for anything to work!
I have put in synthesizers. I think I have the right inputs and outputs in the settings. But what does it mean to turn on the sound engine for that window?

Attachments

• tracktion3.jpg
    tracktion3.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 19
I don't know anything about your DAW either but in Cubase, you have to designate the path of your signal. Inputs and outputs and how you are monitoring them to be heard when played. In the main screen for your recording device that's controlled by your audio interface, there should be an input and output screen where you select how you have it all connected. This then routes the sound through the hardware to allow you to hear things.

I wouldn't know where this is in your DAW or even what it might be called. But, you might not have the output for the audio connected to anything. By looking at one of your screens, it appears that you've selected an audio device. You might check the path of that device to see if it takes you to something similar to what I'm trying to describe. Sorry, if I've just confused you even more.

I downloaded it and ran it. The first thing it did was want me to go down a list, which I did. This let me add an input midi device, and then one of the other processes scanned my system and found some, but not all of my software synths. I downloaded a demo song and after going through the rigmarole of working out how to make to run - it did, and sound comes out - from loads of sound sources.

I'm left with the conclusion that you perhaps don't have any sound sources on your computer. Have you anything in the plug-ins list. If it helps, the synths in this list are NOT the ones that are playing, so Traktion MUST have installed it's own synth.

Have you tried downloading their demo songs? I have no idea if once these are on your system you can keep the sounds, and create your new sounds from that template? Be silly if you couldn't.

I do have to say that I hate Traktion. I will never use it, and it's very unfriendly in the way it works. It is NOT intuitive, and the copious amount of help gallons that pop up rarely help. I got it going by guesswork mainly. It seems to offer a very convoluted way of working that as an established Cubase user, I could never want to swap to. The thing is essentially free, but the annoying popups would get on my nerves if I wanted to stick with it - I don't, so it's about to be deleted.

Frankly - looking at your screen shots, you don't seem to have installed any of the things I see on the one I'm trying!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 08.38.16.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 08.38.16.png
    2 MB · Views: 12

I downloaded it and ran it. The first thing it did was want me to go down a list, which I did. This let me add an input midi device, and then one of the other processes scanned my system and found some, but not all of my software synths. I downloaded a demo song and after going through the rigmarole of working out how to make to run - it did, and sound comes out - from loads of sound sources.

I'm left with the conclusion that you perhaps don't have any sound sources on your computer. Have you anything in the plug-ins list. If it helps, the synths in this list are NOT the ones that are playing, so Traktion MUST have installed it's own synth.

Have you tried downloading their demo songs? I have no idea if once these are on your system you can keep the sounds, and create your new sounds from that template? Be silly if you couldn't.

I do have to say that I hate Traktion. I will never use it, and it's very unfriendly in the way it works. It is NOT intuitive, and the copious amount of help gallons that pop up rarely help. I got it going by guesswork mainly. It seems to offer a very convoluted way of working that as an established Cubase user, I could never want to swap to. The thing is essentially free, but the annoying popups would get on my nerves if I wanted to stick with it - I don't, so it's about to be deleted.

Frankly - looking at your screen shots, you don't seem to have installed any of the things I see on the one I'm trying!

I can try a demo and see what happens. I was able to figure out how to download a plugin synth and drag it to the track. I don't know what's supposed to happen next though. I have a attached a screenshot of my input/output, and I circled the plug in in a previous screenshot. I'm not wedded to any DAW at this point.

Attachments

• tracktion4.jpg
    tracktion4.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 13
Most DAWs these days have a setting for scanning for plugins. Reaper for instance will find anything anywhere.

Dave.

All I can say is that the demo song worked out of the box. Why not run that then see if your controller can play those sounds, once you know they play?

It's not intuitive, the layout is awkward, and even though I gave them my details, I still get very annoying popups that I had to clear every minute or two. A good example of how NOT to gain customers. I've deleted the thing from my computer, and will monitor with interest how many emails start to appear using that registration email address, which is a catchall that I can ban simply - Today, I've had so much spam from a beauty company I used to buy my wife a birthday present - the spam is all centred on improving my looks, stopping ageing, rejuvenating droopy and sagging skin. I wonder who Tracktion will sell my details to?

The annoying thing is as I'm now old, grey, wrinkly and in need of hair in some areas and have an excess of it in others, maybe the spam is useful?

I guess I could try bitwig. [snip] But what does it mean to turn on the sound engine for that window?

I'm not recommending you try bitwig, only using it as a parallel in this discussion.
A previous post referred to it as "Sound Generator" .. Some referred to in in the In/Out.
A simple view of this is an off on switch for a configuration for sound.
This simple view is of two parts.
The switching of sound.
The configuration for sound.

What little I did look into the doc for T7 it reference setting up this Audio Output.
I think someone else provided you to the Quick Start PDF.

I'll look through the larger doc next tho' (I'm curious myself, since going from the free Bitwig 8-track to their commercial version is almost $300 )

Back