Help a noob? Please? no sound

It's not intuitive, the layout is awkward, and even though I gave them my details, I still get very annoying popups that I had to clear every minute or two. A good example of how NOT to gain customers. I've deleted the thing from my computer, and will monitor with interest how many emails start to appear using that registration email address, which is a catchall that I can ban simply - Today, I've had so much spam from a beauty company I used to buy my wife a birthday present - the spam is all centred on improving my looks, stopping ageing, rejuvenating droopy and sagging skin. I wonder who Tracktion will sell my details to?

The annoying thing is as I'm now old, grey, wrinkly and in need of hair in some areas and have an excess of it in others, maybe the spam is useful?

OK, I hear you. I will download the cubase trial.

cubase

OK, I hear you. I will download the cubase trial.

So now I have downloaded cubase trial. I watched a tutorial but still no sound. On the bottom right where it says midi out activity i get a signal. I have an attachment.

Attachments

• cubase image1.jpg
    cubase image1.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 21
Where you have the "Impact GX49" in the left column. that is for midi out. You need to change that to a softsynth/VSTi/Sound module. Whatever you want to call it, they all perform the same function.

Your GX49 is just a controller, it does not generate any sounds, so sending midi data to it does nothing.
Under Studio, select VST Instruments. Then click on the little piano+ icon. Select an instrument. For me, because this is a trial version, there is only Prologue... but it works.
Click on Add Track. That should give you sounds.

You have the mid controller keyboard set as the input - but your output is set BACK to the controller keyboard, which has no sound producing capability.

What you must do is this.
Create a new instrument track, NOT a MIDI track. Pick a synth of some kind. you need to pick a sound source from the drop down list. Pick something that takes your fancy - look in the synth section. Once you create the track, the inspector box to the left will show that sound source as the output and the input will probably default to midi in all - something like that. With that channel highlighted and the record light on - sound should be generated. This assumes in the studio section you have your sound card or audio interface selected.

If for some reason it doesn't work, then double click in the timeline and create an empty track, double click this and the piano key editor will appear. right click to get the selection of tools and pick the pen, and draw in random notes and these will play back.

If this doesn't work - then the sound section of your computer is the problem. if you bring up the mixer window (F3) you will see the faders and the inputs and outputs. In cubase the stereo out does NOT show levels if it is not talking to your sound generation system - internal or external. So if the meters are jumping around, cubase is passing audio to the interface or internal sound system. If the master stereo shows nothing the bottom menu item in studio will let you see the sound card/interface routing.

Let us know how you get on.

cubase reply

Where you have the "Impact GX49" in the left column. that is for midi out. You need to change that to a softsynth/VSTi/Sound module. Whatever you want to call it, they all perform the same function.

Your GX49 is just a controller, it does not generate any sounds, so sending midi data to it does nothing.
Under Studio, select VST Instruments. Then click on the little piano+ icon. Select an instrument. For me, because this is a trial version, there is only Prologue... but it works.
Click on Add Track. That should give you sounds.

I did it! I did it! Thanks! I was honestly having an existential crises for the past couple days because I couldn't get anything to work. So...you're saying that with the trial version I can't use any other synth/vst?
Also how do I enable the Groove agent to work? Do I have to turn off prologue?

So...you're saying that with the trial version I can't use any other synth/vst?
Also how do I enable the Groove agent to work? Do I have to turn off prologue?

Sorry for the confusion, but that's not what I'm saying. I loaded in the trial and only loaded in Prologue. I chose not to load any other VSTi's. For the trial, you should be able to load in other VSTi's. You probably have to install them or put the DLL file in a folder where Cubase is scanning.

To get Groove Agent, you had the option to install it during the installation. If you did that, then it should be in the list. But honestly, I never use it, so not sure how to do so.

Been a LOOOOONG but, in Cubase MIDI setup there is (or was!) a box to tick. "Enable MIDI thru" or some such. No tick, no sound.

And yeah, as Rob has been at pains to point out..NOT intuitive!

Dave.

Sorry for the confusion, but that's not what I'm saying. I loaded in the trial and only loaded in Prologue. I chose not to load any other VSTi's. For the trial, you should be able to load in other VSTi's. You probably have to install them or put the DLL file in a folder where Cubase is scanning.

To get Groove Agent, you had the option to install it during the installation. If you did that, then it should be in the list. But honestly, I never use it, so not sure how to do so.

Got it thanks.

I use the MIDI over USB and had to set the MIDI out over USB using the "SET" feature and MIDI OUT to ON
I have the Nektar Impact LX88+ and I had no MIDI over USB until I did this.

Last edited:
Back