Help with midi routing

aeroworks

I have a Tascam US-122, Cubase 5, and a midi keyboard.

I have my midi keyboard connected to my us-122, and my us-122 connected to the computer via USB. I am able to record midi into cubase but i cannot hear what i play through the headphones connected to the us-122. The only way i can hear the keyboard is if i use the headphone jack on the compute, which i do not want to do.

So basicly, i want to listen to the keyboard as it's being played through the headphone connected to my us-122.

I have cubase set to send the midi to the us-122 but nothing comes through. Any ideas what may be keeping my us-122 from getting the signal?

When i use a microphone on the us-122, i can ar that through the headphones just fine.

let me know if you need any more informatio..

thanks in advance.

Sending MIDI to the US-122 will send commands to the MIDI out port, not audio to the headphones. To send audio to the headphones, you have to have your MIDI keyboard triggering an instrument in Cubase, have monitoring turned on for the instrument in Cubase, and have the audio output of Cubase set to the US-122.

I think i have the keyboard triggering an instrument. when i play the keyboard it plays and records on cubase fine. or is there another step i am missing?

You can play the recorded MIDI track back into the keyboard's MIDI IN port to hear what you've recorded. You can record the audio output from the keyboard on a separate audio track in Cubase while playing the MIDI track into the keyboard.

Sounds like you have the midi device set to the windows SW synth which is why you can only hear it on the computer headphone outs. And yes, you are missing a bunch of stuff.

a) Midi is just data, you need to choose a plugin for the midi track to actually hear anything out of the main out. It appears that you have MS SW synth (software synth, a feature of the sound card in your comp that is usually the default midi out device) set as the midi output in cubase, change this by hitting F11 (the VSTI rack) and choosing something from there. Then route the midi output of the midi track to that device.

b) If you want to hear the actual sounds out of the keyboard (assuming it has sounds and is not just a controller) through your audio interface, you need to plug the audio outs of the keyboard to the audio in of the interface and create an audio track with those inputs

Back