Help !!Midi an Alesis D4 to a Yamaha DT Express

stykbreakr

I have a Yamaha DT express drum kit and an Alesis D4 module. I have run out of inputs on the DT express and would like to add the D4 to it. I like most of the sounds on the D4 better anyway but I like some of the features on the Yamaha module (ie. The ability to mix external music on the accessory input and the sound module in the headphones) as well as a few of it's samples.
I used to use the D4 gigging out but I haven't been playing for several years. Now I'm just an old guy trying to keep up my chops in my apartment and I like those big drum sets of the 80's metal bands :D , so anyway, how do I hook these two bad boys together so I can get my big metal set back? Any suggestions wolud help. Thanks.

First, you need a midi cord from the midi out of the DT Express to the midi in of the D4.

Then you need a way to monitor both the sounds of the DT and the D4 at the same time. A $60 Behringer mixer would do the job, and it has a headphone out too.

Drum sounds are typically fired by a single midi note --- if you want a D4 snare and a DT kick, for example, you would need to set each module to a different midi channel and set the notes accordingly. If you wanted to layer the sounds, set the DT and the D4 to the same midi channel and change the sounds on the D4 to match the setup on the DT, then be sure to save the patch...

This just occured to me - If you wanted to, you could probably even run the D4 into the external inputs of the DT.

Back