Fruity MIDI with electronic drums

bogey4

hey there,

I recently bought a set of older electronic drums, and was hoping to use FL studio 6 to demo some drum tracks I've written. The thing is, I hate my kit's built in sounds, and was hoping to use fruity to record them in MIDI, and then just trigger other sounds from each midi beat. When I record the tracks however, they all come in to the same channel, which essentially assigns them to a pre-defined keyboard. Is there any better way to do this?

Also, one band that I play with records using Pro-Tracks Plus 2.2, and the other using the newest Adobe Audition, the latter which doesn't supports midi recording as far as I know. I've looked at buying "drumkit from hell" to get some better sounds and for its ease of use, tho I'm not sure if this will do what I need it to.

Any suggestions?

b.
(sorry if this is the wrong area or if it's been covered; I couldn't find any solutions when I looked)

Well,
that is a limitation of fruity loops. To make it work, you need the electronic drums send each instrument on it's own midi channel and record all the channels at once into FL on their own track.

DFH is more like a sampler so as long as the drumkit's instrument assignments match the mapping in the program, and then you can just use one track. Same goes for any sampler based program

There is a preset for what you're talking about built into my FL studio Producer Edition which is found by dropping the 'File' menu and going to 'Templates'.

You want the one labeled 'AKAI MPD16'. This template puts a sample on each midi note and is perfect for triggering a midi kit. I suggest that you copy this and rename it something like 'bogey4's kit' before you change anything, but then by clicking on the blue name of the drum you'll bring up a 'Channel settings' box which lets you change the note the sample corresponds to, the sample itself, the tuning, the envelope and so on.

When you're finished be sure to save it as your default file and every time you open FL you'll be ready to go.

And try the FL sounds and any .wav format sounds you have on your hard drive or can find on the web before investing in Drumkit from Hell or any similar product . Altitude is correct that you'd need to run one instance of the VST plugin for every drum you wanted to play, and DKFH is not the most sparing of CPU resources --- you'd probably have a hard time running three instances (meaning three separate drum sounds) at one time on a well-specified computer...

Back