E-Drum recording (MIDI) problem.

Will_R

Bass player, apparently
Hey guys,

Was recording today, using my Firepod and the drummers Roland TD-3 drum kit (well, kit based around the TD-3 unit).

I thought id worked all the bugs out of the system since our last recording session (got the PC setup with a hardware profile specially for recording etc).

Using Cubase SX 3 and EZ drummer for the drums.

When we are recording, the drums are connected via the MIDI OUT of the Roland to the MIDI IN on the Firepod. A new track MIDI track is added in Cubase. EZ Drummer is added as a VST Instrument. EZ Drummer is selected as the output of the MIDI channel.

Recording can go on fine, but out of the blue, the computer will stop recording the MIDI track. It seems to be random in occurance, and there is no signs given other than the midi track stops showing hits being registered.

Ive asked around a few places before, and everyone said it was a hardware issue.

I really cant see how this is a hardware issue, because even though cubase will stop recording the MIDI track, the hits are still triggering EZ Drummer exactly as they were during the recording, and as EZ Drummer is tied soley as the VSTi output of the MIDI track, it says to me that the MIDI signal is still getting to the computer. And cubase is somehow freaking out and just blanking the recording.

To get the MIDI back, closing cubase and reopening it seems to work (until it happens again). Closing the file being used, and opening it again (keeping cubase open), worked once, but only once. Every time after that it was just not recording the drums, though they were still triggering EZ drummer.

Also, when the track cuts, it has a bass drum, hihat and snare (i think) hit occur simultaniously. Regardless of what the drummer does. Even if the kit isnt being touched, and we start recording a new MIDI track, and it has decided not to record properly, it'll have those simultanious hits, then nothing.

Anyone have any idea as you what could be causing this?

Cheers

-Will

had the same problem with ezedrummer & SX3 and my cheapo electronic kit usinh an emu usb to midi cable

when the problem arises click on the midi out on the ezedrummer channel and select no output or none, then change it straight back to ezedrummer. Fixes it every time for me

don't know how to prevent it but there's a quick fix for ya. hope it helps

Hi there,

Cheers for the reply! The problem is that it seems to happen regardless of what drum sampler is being used (it seems). Will try that quick fix next time though!

Cheers

- Will

Couple of things to try:

As lemontree suggested, just use the drumbrains sounds to record with, turn off the midi out from the track, when your done, set it to ezdrummer.

try sniffing the midi port using midiox while recording (it is transparent) and see if the problem is inside of cubase or if the drumbrain is having issues

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. What I meant was to record the midi using the internal sounds from the drum brain to monitor with and then just add the plugin after the midi was recorded

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. What I meant was to record the midi using the internal sounds from the drum brain to monitor with and then just add the plugin after the midi was recorded

Totaly different problem but that's so simple it's genius!! You just fixed my latency problem! everything I track with the drums is offset by the latency of my soundcards because the bass and guitar are playing to what's laready coming back out to the mixer while they're on the way in.

So, if I just track to the left right outs of the brain we're all hitting the desk at the same time while still recording the midi info but not havin it played back to throw us all off.

Gold star Mr!!

So, basically, use the outputs from the TD-3 drum module into an amplifier, and play along with that, while recording the MIDI sans any plugin?

Its so simple captain it might just work.

Will give it a bash

-Will

So, basically, use the outputs from the TD-3 drum module into an amplifier, and play along with that, while recording the MIDI sans any plugin?

Its so simple captain it might just work.

Will give it a bash

-Will

Thats exactly it

Maybe recoridng stereo out from ezdrummer into a stereo channel in cubase so you dont have to deal with midi might work better but you lsoe midi flexibility.

That is an option (which i really never thought about before!), but i really want to keep the flexibility, be able to tweak things with the overall mix etc. Great idea tho :)

Back