drum fills

MrLip

When using the midi sounds from a soundcard, where you may have only 2 snares and a few crappy sounding toms, what can you do to get realistic sounding drum fill-ins?
I'm using a sblive and have tried various soundfonts but have been unable to get satisfactory drum fill-ins.

Are there any tips or midi tricks to get realistic sounding fills?

I use a TB FIJI soundcard with a Yamaha DB50XG wavetable daughterboard on the header. I do all my main percussion with MIDI. I have a MIDI drum loop package called DRUMTRAX that covers all the styles, fills, etc.
Using the DB50XG and my keyboard, I can change the sounds, add reverb,pitch changes,etc for fills. I do some by hand to make them more realistic. I add tambarine, shaker, cowbells, other bells, and woodblock live with a Large condenser Mic.
It takes a LOT OF WORK, but I get pretty good results.

Regards,
PAPicker

Another can of worms!! Lets go fishing!

I only use the drums on my soundcard as a guideline then I use my real drums.
Im just learning how to play bass and Im not that good at it so I'll use the bass from my sound card. I'll run the bass to my mixer out to my hartke bass cab and then mike it back into the mixer. You might be able to that with your bassdrum and toms and tweak it. You might have to track each one by itself for the seperation and then mix it down to 1 or 2 tracks. Also put your processers in the chain till you got the sound you wanted for each drum. then write down the general settings.
Sounds like a lot of work. You might want to opt for a better soundcard (audition it first) or a drum machine. I don't know drum machines or how good they sound.
If you dont have an amp you may have to use external processers for each drum. Of course all this would have to be midi sync and use all those funny buttons on your mixer!
Just my thoughts.

Duckhead

Back