Could only sequence one MIDI track.

BMWerks

The MIDI cables are connected properly.

I've been using MIDI for years while I was using my T-1 Korg and 8 MIDI tracks. Everything seemed so easy then. It was all done for you on board. As I decided to upgrade my sounds, I thought by buying separate sound modules, a dedicated (non-PC sequencer, Yamaha QY-100), a Rolland XV series module, a dedicated MIDI keyboard controller (M-Audio KeyStation Pro 88) and the Tascam 2488 that my MIDI troubles would be for the most part, over.

Though I like the sounds of the Yamaha QY-100, and it is easier to use the voices because of the 16 tracks, I really got the Roland for the sounds and the QY for the sequencer. I can sequence the roland drums, use the QY edits and quantize with only one track however. I cannot sequence the Bass on track two of the QY. I'm not getting "past" track one's drums.

The T-1 allowed me to sequence up to 8 tracks with different voices on each track.

My question; How does one go about enabling/uploading multiple voices to be sequenced by the QY-100, and would I need another external device such as the Tascam US-122 or M-Audio's equivilent or some other kind of 16 MIDI channel exchanging device? As I'm sure you know by now, I'm not using my PC for any music related apps. (not that I wouldn't if I knew what I was doing) I just don't know.

Sincere thanks for any uncomplicated resolutions anyone might have. :o

To answer the last question first, you have all you need to do the job right now --- no need to buy anything else.

You will need to turn off the voices on the QY100 tracks that you intend to sequence on the XV series module, and set up a multi patch on the XV to recieve the midi information.

Let's assume you have drums on channel 10, and want to sequence a Roland bass line along with that on midi channel 9. You say you have no problem getting one sequenced track going, so I'll concentrate on the second one. You will need to pick one of the multi programs in the Roland to overwrite. Put the drums on channel 10, then a bass sound on channel 9. Then save the patch.

Now turn your attention to the QY100. With the drums going, put track 9 of the sequencer into record mode and switch your controller to transmit on midi channel 9. Now when you play the keyboard you should hear the bass sound. Play the bass along with the drums, and presto! You've made your first chart sensation!

This setup breaks apart the sound source/sequencer combo that was so transparent in your T1 --- but this is only slightly more difficult and you should have this down in no time at all.

Last edited:
Ureka!

A million thanks sssc. You're the MIDI boss.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to program the keyboard. As you probably are aware, there's nothing uncomplicated about the M-Audio KeyStation Pro 88. I was unaware we would have to flip switches in the keyboard. There's also a sequencer controler at the left and above of the mod wheels thats totally daunting. How to make the keyboard and the qY communicate would be rocket science to me. :eek:

Thanks, and thanks again.

Your're right...

I've got a Pro88 and I ended up programming an entire environment in Logic Pro7 to make everything work...

Still haven't figured out exactly how the whole thing works...

Good luck...

Impressive looking though

RD, if it's not all for show, I'll figure it out and, or someone here on these threads will give us a few pointers. (as did sssc. above) These threads are loaded with generous, helpfull people and I'm sure that there are others who would benefit from their knowlege with the Pro 88 as well.

More Info

The Pro88 is quite complicated but can be tamed...

What is it exactly that you're looking to control with it?
M-Audio's UC33 is almost identical to the Pro88 and the parameters program the same way...

Did you get the extra material that came with the 88?
Or did you buy it used?

BMWerks said:
There's also a sequencer controler at the left and above of the mod wheels thats totally daunting. How to make the keyboard and the qY communicate would be rocket science to me.
The keyboard transport buttons send a set of midi commands known as Midi Machine Control. The question here is whether or not the Yamaha sequencer understands them, and I suspect the answer will be no. Look in the QY manual under Midi Machine Control or MMC and you'll be able to find out for sure.

Riverdog said:
The Pro88 is quite complicated but can be tamed...

What is it exactly that you're looking to control with it?
M-Audio's UC33 is almost identical to the Pro88 and the parameters program the same way...

Did you get the extra material that came with the 88?
Or did you buy it used?

Brand new in the box W/CD, manual etc..

ssscientist said:
The keyboard transport buttons send a set of midi commands known as Midi Machine Control. The question here is whether or not the Yamaha sequencer understands them, and I suspect the answer will be no. Look in the QY manual under Midi Machine Control or MMC and you'll be able to find out for sure.

Thanks.

According to the qy manual, we can sync to and from other MIDI devices (master/slave which I have done successfully with my Tascam 2488) as well as transmit and recieve MIDI signals 1-16. However, "MMC" or, "MIDI Machine Control" phrases do not show up anywhere in the manual.

Yamaha manual; "When set to EXTERNAL, the qy is controlled by a MIDI clock signal recieved from an external device such as a sequencer or music computer (IE., playback of the qy is synced to that of an external sequencer or other device)."

Could this "other device" be the transports of a Pro 88? :confused:

Stay tuned for news at 11:00!

BMWerks said:
Could this "other device" be the transports of a Pro 88?
Sadly, no.

MMC is a very specific protocol, and the QY100 doesn't support it unless it says so in the manual. You may well be able to trick the sequencer to starting or stopping on remote command, but full remote control will have to wait for another day and another device. What's being referred to in the passage you quoted is midi clock with song position pointer.

Idea?

ssscientist,

Is there some other way then to help?
Will the QY100 receive ANY commands for transport?
Any of the Pro88's buttons can be programmed to trigger any number of MIDI commands and protocols - Has Yamaha specified any "standard" commands for transport?

Duped!

Well then, sssc and RD, Looks like SamAsh got me on that one for the tune of $479.00 for the "Stand-Alone" sequencer. I wanted to sequence even other than the internal Yamaha voices. (stated even before I made the purchase). Buyer beware!

Wonder if there are any other Stand-Alone sequencers with decent editing functions and quantizing out there. Or, heaven forbid, will I have to be reduced to a PC based sequencer with way too much tech. to sift through. That would mean adding another PC and tons of other learning curves and costly add-ons.

The bright side? a $479.00 lesson toward the pursuit of artistic perfection! :D

Hang On...

I downloaded the Manual for the QY and it looks as if it MIGHT receive MIDI Control... Page 247 explains that if 'MIDI Control" is set to "IN" this will allow 'external control' of the QY100 from an external MIDI device...

It also - from perusing through the manual - looks as if you can turn the internal voices 'off' on certain tracks and send that information out to an external MIDI device...

Look through the "MIDI parameters" section of the manual Under 'utility functions' starting on Page 247 to get a feel for how the QY100 will react... It will probably take some playing around with it to get it to do what you want it to do...

Hope this helps...

Protocol specific

Thanks RD, but I think SSSC nailed it here. The qy is protocol specific. MMC does not appear in the qy manual. MCC is a "standard" protocol used by various music tech, companies. You see it everywhere. (Except on this little toy) However, you are correct in that, channels can be individually switched on and off but only for the purpose of syncronization to say, a multi-tracker or other MIDI'd device like the Pro 88.

It's still a bit mysterious and daunting to me. :o

Back