Complete noob question - I can't get my keyboard to work in Cubase with MIDI

TheAquired

Hi
I bought a MIDI to USB cable to try get my old keyboard to work with Cubase. I feel absolutely useless because nothing I do will work. Just to be clear I am using Cubase LE 6. I hope its not the problem.

So I plug my MIDI cables into the In and Out of the keyboard and the USB cable into my pc. the power light on the adaptor comes on, but not the in or out lights to show you it is doing something. I go to cubase and tried to add everything, but I really dont know what to do. I watched some tutorials, but those all use keyboards which are recognized in Cubase. Mine is just some random chinese thing. I would really appreciate some help!

I hope I told you everything you need to know, I'll tell you whatever you might need to know
Thank you in advance! :)

Ok well, I got it working. If anyone else ever has trouble, what I learnt is that on the cable it marks the one MIDI connector as IN, and the other as OUT. the OUT cable must plug into the IN on the keyboard and the IN cable must plug into the OUT on the keyboard.

Ok well, I got it working. If anyone else ever has trouble, what I learnt is that on the cable it marks the one MIDI connector as IN, and the other as OUT. the OUT cable must plug into the IN on the keyboard and the IN cable must plug into the OUT on the keyboard.

that sounds strange, but at least it worked.

The out and in on the cables mean those cables are sending out and receiving into the computer, not that they should be plugged into the namesake point on the keyboard. You want to send midi out of the keyboard (OUT plug) into the computer (IN plug on your lead/interface) and vice versa.

Also, midi keyboard signals are mostly generic so the brand/type of keyboard won't normally matter. It's only when you're using pre-programmed maps for control surfaces (such as Ableton Live/ProTools specific keyboards or controllers) that you really need to sync up the software specially.

Have fun with the CubeAce!

Back