Cheap Keyboard/Controller: MIDI or General MIDI?

Chris Long

I'm in need of a cheap keyboard/midi controller to use with my Cakewalk Guitar Studio 2. I see cheap Casios priced around $100, but they have MIDI, not General MIDI...will that make a big difference? Any real difference at all? I'm only going to use it for recording in the Cakewalk, and I need something...

Looking for the best $150 can buy lol just something that works well.

Thanks!

If you're using a keyboard as a midi controller only, then whether it's General Midi or not is irrelevant. GM is a midi spec primarily for the assignment of patches - it has little to do with midi command control.

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

I have a Kaysound MK 4902 Midi Keyboard Controller.
49 keys, touch sensitive, buttons for wheel assignment,
channels, program, memory, octave, different
velocity curves, channel volume, only midi out.

I think it goes for $110-120.I plugged it in and
never thought about it again, works just like
it should.

As Bruce said, GMidi has nothing do do with this,
it just controls sounds. If you use Cakewalk,
you will do all the program changes and other
stuff that way. The only button I have ever touched
on this keyboard is the power button. Cheers, David

cheap keyboard

I bought a casio for $ 159.00 that is nice I have cakewalk pro audio 9 and the Casio is more than a basic keyboard it has a lot of stuff. For now it will be fine for me. Later I might get a sound module to interface with it.

Thanks

Thanks All!
With your help my brain now comprehends--it's funny, but I could READ about this all day long out of a book, but it wouldn't make half the sense it does when actual, real people tell me what I need to know...
So thanks!

I'm using an Evolution MK49 ($100) with a SB Live Value ($50). The SB has a decent GM and a built in sampler that Ethan Winer, Contributing Editor at ProRec.com, raves about. I just discovered his article--and other links--over at ProRec.com. I was surprised at the enthusiasm these guys have for the SB sampler. I'm going to give it a try.

Akai MPK61 Midi Keyboard $400.00

Brand New Akai MPK Midi Controller Keyboard - $400

This Is A Brand New Out The Box For Pictures...Akai MPK 61 Key Midi Controller Keyboard

ITS A BRAND NEW KEYBOARD. The Price Is...$400.00 It Sells In Guitar Center For 499.99/Plus Tax

Its The Best Midi Controller Out...It Has Basically The Same Functions As A Akai MPC w/ a gorgeous semi weighed keyboard.

ENJOY CONTROLLING OVER 100,000 OF TODAY'S MUSIC INDUSTRY SOUNDS. ALL HIGH QUALITY...IF U HEARD A SOUND ON THE RADIO OR CD ITS INCLUDED IN THIS PACKAGE.

NATIVE INSTRUMENTS KORE 2
NATIVE INSTRUMENTS KOMPLETE 6
IK MULTIMEDIA'S TOTAL STUDIO BUNDLE & MIXING MASTERING SOFTWARE....ALL INCLUDED.

NO TRADES, NO SCAMS, NO CHECKS...ONLY SERIOUS BUYERS...IF U SEND ME A SCAM EMAIL ...I WILL NOT RESPOND!

Last edited by a moderator:
sparq23 that's a very generous offer but it could be that Chris Long needs a little more time to contemplate his purchase.

... Its The Best Midi Controller Out...

That's good to know, I was asking my wife that the other day.

Back