CASIO DH100 USB Midi problems

Chris Avery

Hi,
I have a CASIO DH100 digital sax from the mid 80s. The midi connection is the old 5pin din socket and so I have bought a converter cable to plug it in to the usb connection on my laptop for recording in Cubase. This has not been successful as, although cubase recognises that a USB device is plugged in, no midi data is transmitted. I don’t have a lot of experience with midi so hopefully there is something simple that I am doing wrong ! Can anyone help ?

Chris Avery

Probably better to post this in the Cubase thread.

I suspect it is a MIDI channel setting (channel on the instrument 1 and sending in the DAW 1 as an example). How that is set in Cubase I could not say, but if you have notes in the DAW and the instrument is recognized, then you have to set the channels to receive and send that are the same.

Probably not much help, but that would be my first guess.

I can't say if using the MIDI 5-pin to USB adapter allows for good MIDI transmission.. but if it does..

The MIDI Out is probably sending MIDI, but you haven't routed the signal in Cubase (as [MENTION=136361]DM60[/MENTION] mentioned). With the routing done, you'll need to assign a voice to the DH100 - the built-in voices can't be used for MIDI, so pick one from your Cubase plugins, as you might do when using a synth plugin. The DH100 will be used as a controller to trigger the sounds from the plugin or a separate synth if you have one. There's probably some horn sounds in there somewhere, or you could download some freebies.

Does the horn have a line out (to plug into amp)? You could go that route and mic the amp.

Thanks for that I will try looking at the channels. Other midi devices I have have just worked automatically when plugged in but they are usb direct connections so maybe the dh100, being an older device, needs more attention.

Thanks. I was trying to use a plug in, but the midi signal is just not being recognised. I will look at the midi channel routing. The dh100 does have a line out but the onboard sounds aren’t brilliant so it really just sounds like a cheap 1980s electronic sax rather than the real thing !��

I was able to connect a midi guitar from the 80s once, but I had to go into my audio midi settings on Mac and add a new device. I don’t know if you’re using a Mac and if you have to add devices within your Mac settings as well as your DAW, but yeah. Make sure to try going out to out and in to in if out to in and in to out doesn’t work. One time I was hooking up a moog synth with a midi/usb cable and the out to in and in to out wasn’t working and when I switched it, out to out and in to in, I got signal. Good luck!

Back