Cakewalk / MIDI setup/questions

bigsk

Cakewalk / MIDI setup/questions
Hi everyone Im new to the board and I have a few questions.

Setup
PC /w cakewalk pro audio 9
soundcard sb live value
gameport/midi cable

midi out from sb goes to

Yamaha Rm1x
sequencer/ tone generator (already have a ton of patterns sequenced into it

midi out from rm1x

midi input on a Yamaha psr 248 Keyboard (basically just a midi controller to input music into the rm1x) no audio needed from device

midi out from KB goes to

midi in on sb

now what i want to accomplish is be able to play patterns on the rm1x and have it record into cakewalk.

I also want to be able to play the output from cakewalk from the rm1x (after pattern arranging and changes)

Is this possible?

how do i need to setup the channels / banks sources and stuff to accomplish what im trying to do?

any help is appreciated. =]

If your wanting to convert the midi track to audio...simple...tie your audio outs from the midi device you want to record from to the input of your card. Enable record in cakewalk for the desired track and simply record it.

have it record into cakewalk
Have you tried saving to your floppy on the rmx1, then opening up the midi file with cakewalk on the computer? If it doesnt work that way then something is wrong.
All channels and banks should already be set up when you save it. I would check this first. It should play back if the soundcard settings are right.
Im not familiar with the SB live card, but if your using some kind of extended Midi protocol on the rmx1 instead of the standard 128 set it may not reqconize it. As Stealthtech said you may have to use your analog out.This may include your keyboard if it just uses the standard GM set to trigger the rmx1. Check your Manual.

FYI! I found this article about a Professional who uses the rmx1.

"I bought the rm1x when it first came out and I loved it. I was able to create complex
pieces of music that people swore were samples. 90% of the sounds were garbage but
I learned how to tweak them. The effects were so so but it had 16 tracks and a
floppy,plus the price was right. My gripe with this machine that I never heard anyone
else complain about is the fact that when you try to create a song by chaining patterns it skips and glitches. So if thats what you want to use it for don't buy it. All you can do is create patterns and send the audio to a computer program. And by the way, if you
create a 2 bar pattern or a 4 bar pattern you are stuck with it at that length,you cant
change the length. You can append patterns but that also glitches half the time. But lets
say you use the append function to create a song as one long pattern,you'll then come to the harsh reality that you can't jump to any region within it to make it loop so you can test and add things"
:cool:

Try this...

Gp to options/project/midi
Check transmit midi start/continue/stop/clock
Check transmit midi song position pointer
check transmit MMC
Make sure the ID no of your external module and the one in the options box are the same,also make sure the module is set to slave.

Now Cakewwalk should be the tempo master and if you record the midi you will then want to reset the options box back to the original settings but leave the module in slave mode.

If this works properly youy module no longer will be a sequencer but solely a sound module triggered by Cakewalk.

GOOD LUCK!

How do I connect my MPC midi to my M-Audio 49 keys keyboard to get sound?
My set up:
Dell Lap top (16 gig Ram)/External Hard drive(1 TB)/Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface/VoiceTone Harmony-G-XT/Sonar Professional, Sound Forge 10/Monitors- M-Audio 8” 3 way/AKG Large Diaphragm Condenser Mic/ Gator Dual Pop Filter/Closed Monitor Headphones/ MPC studio /M-Audio 49-Key MIDI Controller.

How do I connect my MPC midi to my M-Audio 49 keys keyboard to get sound?
My set up:
Dell Lap top (16 gig Ram)/External Hard drive(1 TB)/Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface/VoiceTone Harmony-G-XT/Sonar Professional, Sound Forge 10/Monitors- M-Audio 8” 3 way/AKG Large Diaphragm Condenser Mic/ Gator Dual Pop Filter/Closed Monitor Headphones/ MPC studio /M-Audio 49-Key MIDI Controller.

Pretty sure you can't. The MPC's MIDI data needs to got to the MIDI DATA input of an Audio Interface or sound module. I see nothing there that has such an input?

There is a view that we don't need MIDI ports (DINs) anymore and USB can do it all? Not so when you need a MIDI input and a "Sound Module" to repro musics.

Time was when every "Soundcard" had MIDI I/O but peeps have gone cheap and manfctrs have let 'em.

Stop the presses! Is it this one? Akai MPC Live

If so that IS a Sound Module and the M-A49 can talk MIDI to that and the audio jacks go to the F'rite line inputs.

Dave.

Back