Beginner help with midi foot control for Ableton

epichord

Hi guys.

I’m learning to control Ableton Live with my Alesys Photon X25 and have a basic understanding of how to map controls.

My setup has the X25 plugged into my Komplete Audio 6 with a midi cable.

I have a momentary (sustain) foot pedal plugged into the appropriate input on the X25 and I was able to map that pedal as a foot switch to the play button in Live.

This means with my guitar I can start and restart my current Live set without reaching for the keyboard and hitting space.

What I want to be able to do is start/restart and stop so it seems I need a second food switch.

I’ve looked into this online and there are hundreds of foot control setups out there but all seem far more complicated and capable than I need.

Whilst I know I’ll probably grow into something requiring more features as I learn I don’t want to spend big $$s to get the practice setup I need right now.

What do you guys suggest as an ideal, affordable foot control solution for this current need?

I guess I also don’t know how many midi devices I can connect with my current system. Do I attach the foot controller to the midi in on the X25 and then map it as a separate surface in Live?

Best,
Will

Are you much of a DIYer? Can you build your own midi foot controller? Cutting holes, installing switches, wiring them up, programming a microcontroller?

I'm literally finishing up a midi foot controller for DMX lights when I read your post. (letting some glue dry)

I mostly followed this video. Added more to it like a page function and LED status lights. I used a Teensy 3.2 board.

How to Make an Arduino MIDI Footswitch - YouTube

But that's probably more than you need if you only need two switches. I don't have any other good suggestions.

That’s a sweet project man. Wish I had the opportunity for this kind of project, unfortunately although I am somewhat inclined to this kind of approach it’s not good timing.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I’m currently looking at the Logidy UMI3 3 switch controller which is about $100.
Or the Tech21 Midi Mongoose at 129$

Yeah, my reply was based more on the coincidence that I was working on one when I read your post. :)

The two controllers you listed definitely seem better suited to what you need. If I were to choose, I'd go for the Tech21 based on name recognition. They make the Sansamp line of products which have a great reputation. The Logidy sounds kinda like one of those Amazon rip-off models. Reliability would be a concern for me.

Are you much of a DIYer? Can you build your own midi foot controller? Cutting holes, installing switches, wiring them up, programming a microcontroller?

I'm literally finishing up a midi foot controller for DMX lights when I read your post. (letting some glue dry)

I mostly followed this video. Added more to it like a page function and LED status lights. I used a Teensy 3.2 board.

How to Make an Arduino MIDI Footswitch - YouTube

But that's probably more than you need if you only need two switches. I don't have any other good suggestions.

Not to hijack the thread, but I was looking into a MIDI to DMX controller several years ago. Converting MIDI signals to light signals for DMX Have you tried anything like that?

I was using a behringer FCB1010, but it is big and awkward and overkill for the application. It inputs into my laptop where I have a program called QLC+ running. The QLC+ program runs a USB to DMX adaptor that go out to the lights. I got mine from Amazon for ~$20. It does exactly the same thing as those $300 units.

This little controller I made will replace the FCB1010. It's small with a USB connection to the laptop. I used it at a gig this past weekend and had no problems. I'm finishing it up by adding status LEDs and veneering the top panel with zebrawood to make it look nicer.

Back