Audiophile2496 Midi Problem

DarkCide

I have an audiophile 2496 and I'm trying to set up the midi to be able to program my FCB1010 controller. The wiring is correct but it seems neither my J-Station nor the FCB are receiving midi signal from my audiophile. Suggestions?

Off the top of my head:

* Did you connect the MIDI breakout cable to the Audiophile before powering up the computer, as the instructions say to do? (If not, power down and back up again.)

* Have you selected the Audiophile as the MIDI I/O device in your software's configuration dialog?

Don

U dont have to power down before connecting midi cables. Midi only goes in one direction so you can plug stuff in when ever you want.

Get midi-ox which is freeware to try to diagnose the problem. It will allow u to "sniff" the ports so you can see what you are sending and receiving

Make sure your send and receive channels are correct. Very often, devices like your pedal board will have a default midi channel set to something.

Check your software (if your using a daw) and make sure your sysex filters are off, most will have them on by default

Last edited:
Well, altitude909, if you'd only RTFM (hehe), you'd see that it says to power down before connecting the MIDI breakout cable. This is not the same thing as connecting a MIDI cable. The breakout cable plugs into a DB9 connector on the card bracket, and provides MIDI and S/PDIF I/O for the Audiophile.

The rest of your advice is all good. I heartily endorse MIDI-OX. http://www.midiox.com

Don

I guess it does look a bit complex, but the basic functions are pretty simple.

Set MIDI-OX to get its input from your MIDI port. Connect your controller's MIDI OUT to your Audiophile's MIDI IN. Do something (like move a fader?) to make the controller send out a MIDI message. You should see the MIDI data stream in the MIDI-OX window.

The best place to get MIDI-OX help is probably here: http://www.midiox.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl.

Don

Ah. I get it. Once you're sure that the Audiophile's MIDI port is working, you can connect its MIDI OUT to the J-Stations's MIDI-IN, and send whatever MIDI messages the J-Station needs to do its stuff. You'd have to consult the J-Station's MIDI implementation chart for specifics on that.

What exactly are you trying to do with the J-Station? The Audiophile won't do anything to it all by itself -- you have to have something (like a MIDI sequencer) to send MIDI messages through the MIDI interface to the J-Station.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the J-Station, so I don't know what it can do with MIDI. I assume it accepts program changes, but what else?

Don

Ok,
Here is what u need to do:

In midi-ox, open options/midi devices. Highlight the in port as the port you have your keyboard plugged into, the out port should be whichever audiophile port is going out the J-Station and FCB. Click OK

The main output monitor should be open by default and to enable it, open Actions/Start Display , click the stoplight on the toolbar, or the REC in the lower right hand side of the window.

Open View/Control Panel and start playing around with those. With the monitor on, you should see it sending out msgs when u press controls. You should be able to change settings for the FCB there and if that works, then your midi interface works

ha, i had this problem, i was told that sometimes the midi in will not work on soundcards (some card address tecn mumbo jumbo crap) suggestion, take it to some computer nerds and tell them what i told you have them reinstall it

altitude909 said:
Ok,
Here is what u need to do:

In midi-ox, open options/midi devices. Highlight the in port as the port you have your keyboard plugged into, the out port should be whichever audiophile port is going out the J-Station and FCB. Click OK

The main output monitor should be open by default and to enable it, open Actions/Start Display , click the stoplight on the toolbar, or the REC in the lower right hand side of the window.

Open View/Control Panel and start playing around with those. With the monitor on, you should see it sending out msgs when u press controls. You should be able to change settings for the FCB there and if that works, then your midi interface works

When I press send I have two red leds and two green leds come in the port activity display. Is that how it's supposed to work?

chestwick91 said:
ha, i had this problem, i was told that sometimes the midi in will not work on soundcards (some card address tecn mumbo jumbo crap) suggestion, take it to some computer nerds and tell them what i told you have them reinstall it

Do you think uninstalling and installing the driver should fix this?

Darkcide, I have a similar problem with my AP2496. I can get the MIDI OUT from the keyboard into the MIDI IN (and thus, into Sonar), but I can't get the soundcard to send any MIDI OUT information. The lights blink on the little icon on the taskbar, and Midi-OX tells me it's sending, but I still get nothing. Funny thing is, my MIDI IN & OUT work fine with my J-Station, and my keyboards talk back and forth to each other fine too.

I uninstalled, re-installed, played with the IRQ settings, played with the BIOS, everything.

Are you using Win2k like I am?

Most computer towers have a game port on the back. I bought a cheap $15 MIDI connector that plugs into it and breaks out into the IN & OUT MIDI round plugs, and use that to control my J-Station. It works without a problem.

I don't know what it is about the J-Station, but it always works perfectly through that port, yet I can only send MIDI information from the keyboards to the computer. I can't send MIDI to the keyboards regardless of whether I use the game port or the AP2496 MIDI port.

Back