Another Midi Migraine

Cal D

I have input a midi file into my multi track recorder. The problem is, how do I make the midi files part of the final mix down? I can't right click on them and make them part of the "mix down to file" feature.

Given that midi files are simply data, rather than real audio (wav type) sounds, how do I make them be part of a real music mixdown?

Is there a midi to wav converter that I need? How does CEP handle this?

Thanks

Yes you will need to convert the midi track to an audio track.
Are you using an external midi playback device ? Or using the midi sounds from your soundcard ? If you are using a keyboard or other external device, simply have your sequencer playback to your device and patch the audio outputs to your soundcard input and record the audio. If using soundbanks from your card, you may need to bounce to disk if you have that feature within your software recording program.

Thank-you for your answer. I am operating strictly from my SounBlaster Audigy Platinum sound card.

If i understand you correctly, i need to find a way to make my line out of my sound card, somehow send a signal to the harddisk so that the midi sounds translated by the soundcard, can be recorded as a wav file to my disk.

I don't think my recording software supports this. I'm using Cool Edit Pro.

Any suggestions? I know that when I hit play on my multitrack recorder, the midi file sounds do come out of the speakers.......

Im not sure if cool edit has a bounce to disk function, you may want to post in cool edit forum.
An alternative is to create a loop with your soundcard. Output back to input. You would need to start with low levels and work your way up to an acceptable level without distortion. Or output of card to an external mixer then back to card input.

Cool Edit no doubt supports it; it's really a matter of the SoundBlaster having a MIDI device and an audio input stream that are wired together in the card's hardware. You enable the device that are piped into the WAV In recording device in the Windows mixer. Usually the MIDI synth output piped into the the WAV In is disabled by default when the card is installed.

Once that's done it's simply a matter of arming an audio track to record, muting everything but the MIDI track or tracks you want to record to audio, and hitting Record. Make sure that after you've gotten the MIDI parts recorded to audio, you mute the MIDI tracks when playing back, or you might get some phase problems.

Here's the deal...
In order to mix the song into "Final mix" you must convert the MIDI files into wav. So all data being mixed is in WAV format. CEP can handle it. Now, how to record your MIDI file into wav ? :

1. Arm some blank track.
2. Doble click Windows kernell mixer (beside the clock down right hand side taskbar), mute everything but the wav & MIDI.
3. Options --> Properties --> Recording. Click.
4. You're now in Record control. Select MIDI as the rec source.
5. Back to CEP. Record the armed track while plays the MIDI file. The MIDI played will be recorded into wav.
6. If you want to record each track separated, then activate only one track when you record it. One by one.

There you go... all in wav file. Now go mix 'em...
:cool:

Back