88 key midi controller

fuzzsniffvoyage

Doing research for my next piece of gear. I currently have an Akai MPK49. I plan on keeping it. I love the faders and transport controls, just not enough keys. So I’m open to suggestions for an 88 key. Doesn’t necessarily have to have faders or transport controls. Just good key action, weighted, semi weighted and durability. Easy implementation in to my studio working along side the Akai which is currently going in to my computer via USB.
Would it be an issue having 2 controllers via USB? Or should I use midi cables with a midi interface? Or my audio interface has midi.(using an Avid 11rack)
Or new controller in to Akai with midi cable and Akai in to computer with USB.
I’d like to keep the price below 1k including pedals and cables.
Thanks

I haven't been able to find ANY MIDI keyboard with weighted keys. Can anyone recommend one?

I'm very happy with the Nektar Impact LX88+

Very reasonably priced..... about $300.
I like the number of controls.

The keyboard semi-weighting is quite good... I learned on a real piano and find these keys good.

Mainstage | MIDI Controller | Keyboard | Performance | Video

lxvideos_news_image_mainteaser.jpg

I've been using the 25 key version of that same Impact LX and I love it. Of course, I can't play piano to save my life so I can't really comment on the keybed quality. I like the keys a little better than my old XBoard 49, that's about all I can say. They're definitely synth-action and not very weighted.

It fully integrates into whichever DAW you use by downloading specialized drivers from Nektar's website. So the transport controls and fader actually function like a control surface, which is really cool.

It's definitely a contender as you search out options. Behringer also has a really fully-featured 88-key controller but I've never actually touched it so I have no idea how it feels.

On the used shelf, you might find a Yamaha KX-88. Generally from 2-4hundred. STILL one of the finest actions available at any price.
A little dumb - notta lotta different controllers -- just a keyboard, peds, and 4 faders. So it wouldn't keep up as the central node of a complex rig without a lot of pre-programming. And it's MIDI only.

But action/$$ it's gonna be hard to beat even today.

I've been using the 25 key version of that same Impact LX and I love it. ...... They're definitely synth-action and not very weighted.

You are correct. The semi-weighted keys are only available on the LX88+ in that impact line.

Studio logic use Fatar keyboards which are about as good as it gets on weighted keys midi boards

THe SL88"STUDIO" is $500 at Sweetwater...

I own a Yamaha MOX8 and love the sounds and the action is fine and adjustable...you could probably pick up one of them used for close to the same...

If you are a piano snob you can pony up another $400 and buy the SL88 "GRAND" and you'll be playing one of the finest weighted midi keyboards made in 2018..

Read the reviews...

Back