Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yet Another Mic ID Query ...

Thanks

Yet Another Mic ID Query ...

Sign in to disable this ad
    Saw this on the Martin forum.

This is a terrific duo, BTW, who I saw last April at Old Settlers Music Festival - the mic really doesn't matter how they sound, but recording with a single mic, maybe... Anyway, the video comments also raise this question - I didn't see an answer.

I've been looking at some "wide" cardioid options for maybe doing some single mic stuff at outdoor jams (though ask myself "why, when you already have plenty of mics?")... Anyway, the one pictured here didn't ring any bells. Seems pretty forgiving off-axis.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    I want to say it's a Sony ECM something. Look at the ECM 250 for comparison.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    I want to say it's a Sony ECM something. Look at the ECM 250 for comparison.
    Looks like that kind of vintage, but I googled and looked at all the images and didn't see anything quite like it.

When I first started recording stuff with my Sony cassette (DC6?) I had one of the small, stereo ECM mics. It was actually pretty good!

Thanks
    It could also be a Shure. Look at SM59 or SM61. I seem to recall some AKG mics that had similar styling.

Thanks
    From the sound quality, I'd guess it's an M/S mic - just too clean and nice for a cardioid off-axis, because as he moves, the tone doesn't change. or I suppose, an omni?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    From the sound quality, I'd guess it's an M/S mic - just too clean and nice for a cardioid off-axis, because as he moves, the tone doesn't change. or I suppose, an omni?
    I was thinking it might be M/S too - that band around the middle looks like some of the stacked capsule stereo condenser mics I found, but only a couple I've seen actually have an end address, regardless of how many patterns they support, and even the couple I found that did were not exact matches. Time to give up I think, though I like the idea of something that doesn't look quite as big (i.e., vs. coincident LDCs or ribbons) being able to do that. I suppose omni would work well, but no place that I might record would have a crowd sitting quiet and still like that bunch at the NC governor's mansion, so room noise would likely make that a hopeless cause.

That video is viewable in 4k if anyone has a 4k TV and bandwidth to do that. Maybe something could pop out on max zoom (seems to be 500%) if you had detail. (I tried briefly but too frustrating with my connection, and I suspect if I found out what it was, it wouldn't matter ).

Thanks
    Took a while, but this is it. This is the only pic of the duo using this particular mic to be found, so it's likely owned by the 'Music at the Mansion' facilities.
    Neumann KSM-84i
    KSM-84i Spec Sheet

A couple of mics on the floor also
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mandolin-orange-perform_47958299197_resize-jpg   ksm-84i-jpg  
    Mark.......

8. The Following User Says Thank You to arcaxis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    Took a while, but this is it. This is the only pic of the duo using this particular mic to be found, so it's likely owned by the 'Music at the Mansion' facilities. ...

A couple of mics on the floor also
    What are the floor mics? ( JK - you are awesome, thanks!)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    What are the floor mics? ( JK - you are awesome, thanks!)
    At a guess I'll go with a pair of RODE M5's. The 'dot' towards the end makes me think so and the logo I can't read.
    RODE M5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rode-mic-jpg  
    Mark.......

11. The Following User Says Thank You to arcaxis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So, this is interesting. A super-cardioid, hand-held condenser with a couple of outside SDCs, and the recording is really acting like something with a much wider pattern. Does that mean the SDCs probably have contributed a fair amount to the mix, or they just had that KMS gained up more and got away with it because it was only used for recording?

That KMS, and probably other handheld condensers I guess, has lower sensitivity, making it more like a dynamic? Makes me tempted to try something similar with my Miktek PM9 and a pair of Studio Project SDCs, i.e., how different can it be if I spend half (or technically nothing, since I already have the mics)? Just need to get a couple floor stands...

Thread Information