Yeah, oh wow, you know, yeah.....

I hesitate to even reply here, because I am so incredibly pissed now, but you know, and I'm saying this in a tewwibly english accent. for which I apologise to my American friends, who may or may not appreciate an English accent. or more likely despise it because it reeks of colonialism etc, anyway all I'm saying is that MSHilarious has an in-depth understanding of electronics which few here can equal. and he gave me much invaluable info about pre amp chips enabling me to build a good low noise pre-amp
so, while I realise that pissed postings do nothing to enhance one's reputation as an intellectual, nevertheless, in a strange sense. one almost, dare one say it, doesn't care?

The only thing better than getting really pissed is getting really pissed on pina coladas made with fresh pineapple and dark rum whilst (note the fake English accent) sitting in a hot tub with Octomom :drunk:

No I wasn't saying everyone else sucks, but I was saying MSH understood the physics behind the operation of microphones, and the operation of pre-amps, in a way that few others do. So his advice was so much more valuable than people who just say " sounds good, nice rich tone, good presence," etc and other meaningless comments.

...I was saying MSH understood the physics behind the operation of microphones, and the operation of pre-amps, in a way that few others do. So his advice was so much more valuable than people who just say " sounds good, nice rich tone, good presence," etc and other meaningless comments.

That he does, and has his tech knowledge down...but sometimes, it really is just about how it sounds - "sounds good, nice rich tone, good presence". :)

I mean...tech specs don't always tell you what you want/need to know...but it certainly doesn't hurt to also be able to make sense of them coupled with the more basic "ear test".

Pina coladas with fresh pineapple and dark rum sounds so good. I imagine lying on a sunlounger with several dusky maidens in the vicinity, with or without an English accent, I'm sure they wouldn't be too fussy either way. And I would soliloquise on the virtues of low-noise pre amps to the sound of latin music, and... but I am getting too carried away... wohevar

I have said many times that specs don't tell you want a bit of kit is good for, they tell you what it is *not* good for. Example, you have a preamp with a high equivalent input noise spec, don't expect to use it with a ribbon mic on a quiet source. If you have an amp with a high minimum gain and no input pad, well if you use a hot mic on a louder source with that amp, expect to have to use the mic's pad or an inline pad. And so on . . .

None of this has anything to do with pina coladas, which are simple:

- bottled pina mix: disgusting, serve to only to sorority chicks who are going to puke it up later in the evening.
- canned pineapple juice, canned coconut: OK, but use plenty of rum
- canned pineapple chunks, canned coconut: the workingman's pina
- fresh pineapple, canned coconut = me + Octomom + hot tub
- fresh pineapple, fresh coconut = the nectar of the gods! Or maybe just Hanuman, the Hindu monkey god. I don't know that they have pinas in India, but they really ought to.

One of these years I am moving to the Virgin Islands; I can work anywhere there is a US post office . . . :cool:

Next up: why martinis are disgusting (because if I wanted a cheap thrill I could suck on my juniper bushes out front), and why "mic : preamp matching" is 83.2% complete bologna. I mean wine and food pairing is mostly bogus too, other than a very brief consideration of tannin and residual sugar just drink the stuff, man :drunk:

I mean the other day I'm drinking this giant martini this dude poured me and there wasn't a bottle of vermouth even on site, nevermind an olive or an onion. I finished that thing and then I was like I can't keep up with y'all and this hard stuff, just pour me a shot of JD . . .

Back