XLR amps? Phantom power? Connection problem please help :(

themaverick7

Hello. I regularly jam with my band (I play on a grand piano) but the sound is not loud enough so decided to buy a microphone and a amp.

I want to buy a AT2050 as my microphone. It needs phantom power, so my configuration would be microphone - phantom power supply - amp. However, since the microphone and the power supply is connected using XLR cables, I need to find a amp that can use XLR, but I can't find any.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I'll be grateful any help!

By "XLR amp" I assume you mean one that can directly take a mic level input. There are a few such beasts out there, used mainly for paging and things like that, but most amps want a line level input.

Perhaps a better way for you to go would be to buy a microphone pre-amp that provides phantom power and outputs a line level signal. There are hundreds of these on the market.

If you went this way, then you could choose virtually any amp you want rather than limiting your choice.

One other point to consider...if you buy a mic pre-amp, you may find that the line live output is on a balanced (TRS) quarter inch jack...or you may find that the amp input is on balanced quarter inch. Neither would be a problem...you can easily get cables with XLR at one end and TRS jack at the other...or one with a balanced jack at both ends if that works.

Play louder... ;)

You will find that one mic may not do the trick for a grand. If you are just banging out some R&R it may be OK to stick the mic in the middle of the soundboard and jam away...but generally, pianos need more because of the long/large sound source.

It really depends on what you are after, sound-wise.
Grand pianos have been miked for many years, so do some research on the different methods, and then with that info, find the appropriate gear solution, but it will take a few pieces, though there maybe some "all-in-one" boxes that will allow you to just plug the mic(s) into them, mix, and amplify. There are also "pickups" that can used instead of mics.

Google "amplifying a (grand) piano"...and you will find lots of info....

A small powered mixer or mixer and powered speakers - basically a small PA would do the job for around 500 - 750 you could sort out something pretty decent.
Now, mic choice and arrangement for a grand, that's a whole nother ball game.

It's going to be heck when you guys decide to go on the road for a few shows!!

Why not get an 88 weighted electronic keyboard and say yourself a lot of hassles. That will also open new horizons for the band and yourself when you want to add strings, horns or play an organ part. ;)

Could be worse, Moresound....it could be a marching band!

Seriously, I also prefer to mic pianos, especially a grand, with a stereo pair. However, the exact need depends on what they want to do...if it really is just jamming but the with rest of the band being a bit loud then the OP's approach is probably fine. If they want to get serious and either record or do live gigs then some of the other thoughts are worth considering.

Thank you everyone! My band is just a impromptu band and it's very unlikely that we will do any performances or recordings in the near future... so I guess a single mic + preamp + passive speaker would do the trick.

Thanks for all the suggestions. If my band really does get serious then I will buy another mic for stereo miking or will just get a weighted keyboard.. but that's a little bit out of my reach now.

Thanks again everyone.

It was probably just a slip of the typing, but...

...after a pre-amp you'll need either an active speaker or a separate amp then a passive speaker. A pre-amp just brings mic level up to line level--it's not designed to drive a speaker.

Googling "keyboard amp phantom power" (which really was not that hard, I'll bet even you can do it, the maverick7:p) shows that the Crate XK100 has phantom power, and a reviewer of the Behringer K3000fx says it has it, too, although there is no mention of PB on Behringer's website.

Smaller PA's are usually built for vocals, not the wide frequency range of an 88-key piano, so using one as a piano amp could damage the speakers.

Back