Would you consider buying a used microphone post COVID?

Would you think a MD-421 is more essential than the SM-58?

I could sell the NT-1a ( never use this one, just sits) or SM-58 and shoot for the MD-421. Dynamics work well for me. Stick it in my bass cabinet. Every time I see a 421 demo, it impresses.
Not going to buy any used microphone till this blows over. It seems like dumb move during the plague. Is that unfair that I will sell but not buy used? Whatever..

Must say, I like the hyper's in my empty untreated bedroom.

Raw clip.

Last edited:
Fortunately for me, I would never consider buying a used mic under any circumstances. I bought a new, pricey condenser mic online. It was a dud. With an Apollo running at maximum gain, it barely produced more than a whisper. They took it back, erased my "1" rating for it. And Voila, there was a "demo" for sale at the same site. For some other unfortunate soul.

Yes, I agree. You cannot take chances with used microphones. They are delicate instruments.

Dude get this. Reverb has the MD-421 II New for $241.00 free shipping. Done. Problem solved. Normally $379-399.

Screenshot 2020-12-26 055759.png

I put my NICE Nt-1a FOR SALE on Reverb $180.

Last edited:
Wow - loads of my collection have come from ebay and I've had some absolute bargains and just a few duffers. I even found some old AKG D190s for a video shoot where the 1980s video had them in shot and we were recreating a scene. I bought 3 and they were all perfect sounding, one just bit tatty. I have bought an AKG 202 which is also a little tatty but works perfectly. I did buy an STC lip mic that had the ribbon blown out. One day I'll get around to fixing it. I have bought an extra 414 to add to my collection, and I cannot separate it from the two old brand new ones I have. I've got AKG 451s - one bought New Years ago and two from ebay - again, they sound the same. Do you all buy new cars? Surely the same things apply - they could be bargains and they could have a gearbox on the last teeth of the cogs.

Where is your courage? You lose so much excellent stuff. I saw a guy a few days ago selling a really, really expensive long shotgun. I don't need an 816, the 416s are perfect, but 816 mics don't come up that often. Ebay are pretty good with business sellers - I'm one myself, and if somebody wants to return it within 14 days I have no choice but ti accept it - and few people send things back and if they do, ebay deduct the funds anyway, so I have no choice.

Why are you letting bargains get away like this, it's silly - but I guess people like me will snap them up as you careful people get the cotton wool out and protect yourselves.

I made a silly offer for the 816 which he rejected immediately. It didn't sell and he put it back on for £50 less, and nobody bid - I sent him a note saying I was still interested but couldn't go over £200 including shipping. He said yes, and I will hopefully have a great bargain. I'll set it to one side till 7 delays from dispatch before touching it, which is what our scientists say is the life span of the live virus on metallic surfaces. If it doesn't work, he can have it back, but I bet it works fine and I got a bargain - which I can keep, or sell at some point. Why is nobody interested in it. There is a small dent visible in the pictures. The damn things live in a Zeppelin housing so who cares?

Lazerbeak says you can't take chances with used microphones, then puts his good one on reverb, for somebody else to benefit from - isn't that a bit odd? You won't buy them but benefit from sales to people who will? If used sales are bad, they're bad for everyone?

Would you think a MD-421 is more essential than the SM-58?
I could sell the NT-1a ( never use this one, just sits) or SM-58 and shoot for the MD-421. Dynamics work well for me. Stick it in my bass cabinet. Every time I see a 421 demo, it impresses.

I see the 421 as a dynamic and 58/57 as a dynamic....the 421 is subjectively different..but with eq much can be done..

and its been on some huge sale for a couple months back now for some reason. Numerous threads popped up around the sudden price drop. at $199 to October crazy cheap ...why? (some speculate a 421 III is coming)
I bet a lot of the gearheads who over bought can sell the $200 for $250 and make some $$$$profit. Still a great price and wont last for long, is my guess.
Im wondering what the Beyer 88 sounds like compared to the 58?

The M88? My 414XLS(sold) was what i wanted for a vocal microphone. Problem it didn't sound like I wanted. It demo'd ok next to 6-8 others. When I got it home and really got into it for the weekend I realized my mistake. Perhaps it was me and not you, I told it...

The M88 is THE vocal microphone I was looking for. Warmer than a SM58. The 88 is a nice dynamic.

Last edited:
Lazerbeak says you can't take chances with used microphones, then puts his good one on reverb, for somebody else to benefit from - isn't that a bit odd? You won't buy them but benefit from sales to people who will? If used sales are bad, they're bad for everyone?

Yes, I want to be the number 1 mutherfunking survivor.

Yes, I put the ball in your court. You can make your own decisions. My thinking is its not the smartest thing during a plague.

Yes, I want to be the number #1 mutherfunking survior.

Yes, I put the ball in your court. You can make your own decisions. My thinking is its not the smartest thing during a plague.

We are all going to die. You have lots more chance of dying of many other things than covid. In fact covid is probably well down the list of possible death causes.

But then somewhere someone will produce a list of microphone users who caught covid and other diseases from a second hand microphone and are no more.

There may also be a list of people who died from paranoia related causes as well.

Not for nothing.....but Covid is the LEADING cause of death in the US for 2020 and with no doubt....the last few months. Not behind heart attacks and strokes....etc...etc....the leading cause.

As with the decision about whether or not to buy something used off the internet.....the decision about whether or not you think Covid is up there with most lethal threats.....is purely up to you.....and is your right to believe.....one way or the other.

I see the 421 as a dynamic and 58/57 as a dynamic....the 421 is subjectively different..but with eq much can be done..
?

A 421 has a large diaphragm, and totally different response curve. An EQ will not make one into the other? The response will be different with signature peaks and flats.

I am on the side of..all sm58's sound generally the same. All M88 sound the same. Each type different with a specified best use.

My thinking is its not the smartest thing during a plague.

It's maybe easy to overthink.
If you have a routine for handling incoming packages, groceries, mail, magazines, etc, you should be applying that to microphones.
If it can be washed, wash it - If not, leave it aside somewhere for X days.
We're told 3 days for plastics+metals, I believe? Give it 4...All's good.

As far as I know a microphone being used doesn't make it more or less dangerous, if you've already got strict and sensible practices in place.

I've just bought another ebay bargain - and that's what I shall do, leave it, then test it. I shall plug it in, say one two (a blow not a suck) and pop it on the shelf. I see absolutely no risk in this. My risk assessment, that I do for work, if I did one, would show initial risk as low, and after the setting aside, and blow not suck, the risk would be classed as insignificant - as close to no risk as it's possible to be.

I've just bought another ebay bargain - and that's what I shall do, leave it, then test it. I shall plug it in, say one two (a blow not a suck) and pop it on the shelf.e.

How many mics are in your collection?

To much variety, is too many to choose. I search for a particular sound and say that's the one.

How many mics are in your collection?

and how many different sources do you record.
If you record a wide range of instruments then variety is pretty important.

If you only ever record your voice or guitar or whatever then, sure, search for a particular mic that you think suits well.

How many mics? Far too many - First Shure SM57 in 1976 - still have the cable in the cable trunk and still works fine.

Keep in mind that we do recording but also PA (with a JBL VRX flown system bought just before covid, that has not yet come out of the flight cases. We also do video work - so have a pretty decent collection of mics. I won't include the radio mics - but they're all Sennheisers plus 6 Line 6's which have spent their life set to Shure SM58 setting.

Video Mics
Sennheiser 416 x 2
Audio Technica 815 x 1
Beyer M58 Omni x 1
Sennheiser MKE2 x 2

Small condensers/dynamics
AKG 451 x 4 extension tubes and cardioid, omni and short shotgun capsules
Chinese copies of 451's with cardioid and omni capsules - 12 (used as a conference set)
Beyer M201 dynamic x 1
Samson C02 x 2
Shure SM57 x 8
Shure SM58 X 6
Shure beta58 x 4
Shure SM87 x 2
Shure beta57 x 2
AKG D190 x 4
Sennheiser 604 x 4
Neuman KMS105 x 3
Shure KSM8 x 1

Large mics
AKG D112
Samson C01 x2
Oktava MK319 x 2
AKG 414 x 2
Shure KSM32 x 2
Chinese ribbon x 1
Shure SM7B x 1
EV RE320 x 1
Shure 520 x 1
Shure Beta52 x 1
A one off Chinese dual capsule omni/fig8/cardioid stereo mic. Like the old Neumann SM69
Probably 4 or 5 large format Chinese mics - used for the occasional multi-mic big band shows.

With this lot - the only ones laying around in the studio are a couple of 57s and a 414, these two seem to cover virtually everything. The rest are in the store maybe 30 feet away, and get pulled out when needed.

Last edited:
How many mics?

Beyer M201 dynamic x 1 NICE

With this lot - the only ones laying around in the studio are a couple of 57s and a 414, these two seem to cover virtually everything. The rest are in the store maybe 30 feet away, and get pulled out when needed.

Totally agree on the 414. Perfect for the home recording enthusiast. True multipurpose microphone with great off axis possiblities. Back it up with blended dynamic. Nice.

I sold my AKG 414 and got the M160 and later the M88.

The M201 is on my list of buys. $199 last time I passed on it. GC had it in their acoustic room.

Healthy collection. Be proud , Rob. Its cool.

When I was involved with BBC local radio here, the 201 was their go to interview microphone for guests, and radio interviews and panel shows. I often use it as a drum overhead on stage - works really well doing that, which for a dynamic should not really happen, I think. I'm looking for another - but it will be a bargain hunt I think.

The collection means that while I have favourites, I can get a job, and grab the most suitable mic quickly, and often not even need to listen - I just know what will work. Lots get little use, which is sad, but others are getting a little worn through maybe too much use?

I would certainly prefer to buy a new mike; but knowing that the corona virus would be dead in a few days, I might buy one at a really bargain price, keep it isolated here for a whole week, disassemble and clean the windscreen, then put it to use. I think the higher concern would be the way in which that used mike had been used and handled by the previous owner(s). The type of mike (condenser, dynamic, etc.) would also figure in my decision, since some mikes are more fragile than others. In general, though, I would still lean more toward wanting a new mike with a full warranty in preference to a used mike.

The efficiency of Reverb was fast.

The NT-1a sold in 24hrs. So people must like them.

And have no fear of COVID from used microphones. Not that I have COVID, but the situation is not deterring sales.

Back