Would you consider buying a used microphone post COVID?

Wrong. You can easily get to the Lower Explosive Limit by evaporating alcohol like that. I spent the last 10 years of my career working health and safety with solvent based inks. Class 1/Div 1 areas, explosive dust, flammable vapor measurements. You really don't want to vaporize any quantity of either ethanol or isopropanol in a room.

Ethanol Flash Point is 55F, Lower Explosive Limit 3.3%, Upper Explosive Limit 19%. That means anything between 3.3 and 19% vapor concentration will ignite, and I can guarantee you won't want the fireball going through your house.

Isopropyl Alcohol is worse. FP is 53F, LEL is 2% and UEL is 12.7%. It wouldn't take much evaporation to reach a 2% level.

You don't need any compression to create an explosion. A friend of mine died when someone was welding near an empty storage tank with alcohol vapors. It blew a 20 ft tall storage tank about 30 feet and killed two people.

In other words, its SERIOUS SHIT! Don't do it!

Are you one who thinks flicking a lit cigarette in a GAS puddle/bucket will light a fire?

It will extinguish the cigarette .

Edit- using a pyrolyzer and a mixture of 1:4 25% water 75% rubbing alcohol , I could not make a flame.

Last edited:
Just let me know where to send the flowers.

Trust me, I've seen flash fires from solvent fumes. The plants I dealt with had IR sensors and CO2 flooding devices all over the place. Most of the time it works. It didn't help the printing plant downtown, when it blew out the wall, then ignited the remaining solvent which was splattered around the room. The plant never reopened.

We're talking solvent vapor, not liquid. Liquid is far above the ignition limit. It's the vapor above the liquid that ignites. If you're evaporating alcohol in a mister, adding water vapor doesn't help. You'll hit the fire triangle somewhere. If you're lucky, you'll just have a fireball and just catch a few things on fire.

The virus lives 5 days on a hard surface when it contains a high viral load. Let it sit for a couple of days then you should be fine

Back