Word on the Mojave MA-200

Kottke

I searched and found one post with a brief, second-hand review. Has anyone heard about/experienced this new mic?

The Mojave MA-200 is essentially the "Royer mod" circuit for a MXL2001, V67 or ADK 51, but preassembled by a new division of Royer Labs using their own body. It looks to me like they've procured the 1.1" 3 micron 797 capsule instead of the 1" Shanghai capsule.

I've built several Royer modded mics and they sound very, very nice with the 1" Shanghai capsules. I'm sure they sound much better with the 797 capsule.

...I have one of the few pre-assembled MA-200's that Mojave offered using the ADK A51 body and capsule (sold as a finished product built by Royer's techs, not as a kit)...this one predates the current model being offered...the sound of this mic is wonderful...it's my first choice for vocals (especially male vocals)...prior to obtaining this mic, I had been using my NTK and my upgraded MXL V77 for similar tasks...the Mojave is just a touch smoother on the high end than those other mics...keep in mind that my version cost half of what the current cost of the MA-200 is, but that said, I can't think of too many other mics in that price class that sound better...the competition (in tube mics ranging from $500-1000.) would be the SP T3, ADK TT and Peluso's entry level product...my guess is the Mojave holds up pretty well (I've used the T3 and TT, but not the Peluso yet)...that's IMHO of course...

...others would argue of course, that there are a number of solid-state mics in that price range that sound as good or better...I have A/B'd my MA-200 with an AT4050 and although they sound a bit different, a case could be made for preferring either mic (they both sounded very nice)...there are a number of other vocal mics in the $500-1000. range that would deliver similar results...many of which offer different polar patterns and therefore more versatility...but if you're looking for a real sweet vocal mic, the MA-200 is well worth a look...I suggest you call Mojave and ask about a trial based purchase...my experience dealing with David and his team has been very positive...they are very helpful and knowledgeable...

...as Philgood said in the above post, search "Royer mod" on this site, as well as Google to get more info...

New Press Release....

...this press release appears in the May, 2005 edition of Pro Sound News:

David Royer actually started Mojave Audio in 1985, fine-tuning circuits and capsule designs. His various self-built microphones, mic preamps, and compressors are in the hands of a number of prominent L.A.-based producers and engineers. For the past few years, the company offered do-it-yourself tube-microphone kits. The company is now moving away from kits and focusing it's efforts on fully assembled products.

Mojave Audio's first shipping product is the MA-200, a tube condenser microphone with a cardioid pattern. Designed by David Royer, with the assistance of Rick Perotta (whose production expertise dates back to Matchless guitar amplifiers), the MA-200 employs a 3-micron, hand-selected capsule used in conjunction with a specially designed American transformer and a military-grade JAN 5840 vacuum tube. The microphone is manufactured in China under strict supervision and quality control, and the final processes, including QC, testing and burn-in, are done in Burbank.

Company officials were quick to stress those factors that differentiate the MA-200 from other Chinese-manufactured products. "The design is 100% David's," notes John Jennings (Director of Sales & Marketing for Mojave). "We supply the key components to ensure the quality is up to David's standards. Outsourcing the manufacturing enables us to deliver a highly capable microphone at a very competitive price."

The MA-200 is being marketed as an upper mid-level design targeted for use in project and professional recording studio environments.

Back