Will supercardioid mic make alot of difference

<<Both supercardioid and hypercardioid are narrower than cardioid>>

that's what i thought. glad to see i wasn't totally off. ;)

cheers,
wade

DJL said:
Kool, like I said above, the Beyer M201 is my favorite snare mic. Two of my other favorite Beyer mics are the M88, and M160. Anyway, if you want to save a few bucks... keep an eye on ebay and etc for a good used M201. Good luck, Don

I've seen 2 different names for the m201 One has a TG after it which I read stands for tour group and it has an internal shock mount. The other one has N(C) after it which I have no idea what it means??????? Any clue as to the differences besides a shock mount??

mrface2112 said:
<<Both supercardioid and hypercardioid are narrower than cardioid>>

that's what i thought. glad to see i wasn't totally off. ;)

cheers,
wade

Yep, he had me questioning myself for a minute or 2.

So what's the deal Richie, are you the one who is confused or are you just trying to screw with us? :confused:

HangDawg said:
I've seen 2 different names for the m201 One has a TG after it which I read stands for tour group and it has an internal shock mount. The other one has N(C) after it which I have no idea what it means??????? Any clue as to the differences besides a shock mount??
I don't know... the two M201's I have are TG's.

Last edited:
OK, confession time. No, I'm not confused. I'm misinformed by a legitimate published source that should know better. Thank, you, One Room Studios, for the link. By the way of explanation, I am including this (bogus) quote. Not being a techno-geek, before posting any technical comments, I check sources. In this case the "expert" is *dead wrong*. It also explains my real-world experiences with the e609 silver, my first supercardioid, namely the double null. Please note, I am not quoting this to argue with y'all. It's obvious to me that this guy is wrong.

"There are variations on the basic cardioid pattern, including super-cardioid (a wider pattern favoring greater off-axis response) and hyper-cardioid (which has a narrower response yielding almost no off-axis response)..."

The Recording Guitarist
A Guide for Home and Studio
by Jon Chappell copyright 1999 by Hal Leonard Corporation

I apologize most sincerely for passing on this piece of misinformed bullshit.-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
OK, confession time. No, I'm not confused. I'm misinformed by a legitimate published source that should know better. Thank, you, One Room Studios, for the link. By the way of explanation, I am including this (bogus) quote. Not being a techno-geek, before posting any technical comments, I check sources. In this case the "expert" is *dead wrong*. It also explains my real-world experiences with the e609 silver, my first supercardioid, namely the double null. Please note, I am not quoting this to argue with y'all. It's obvious to me that this guy is wrong.

"There are variations on the basic cardioid pattern, including super-cardioid (a wider pattern favoring greater off-axis response) and hyper-cardioid (which has a narrower response yielding almost no off-axis response)..."

The Recording Guitarist
A Guide for Home and Studio
by Jon Chappell copyright 1999 by Hal Leonard Corporation

I apologize most sincerely for passing on this piece of misinformed bullshit.-Richie
I knew I liked you Richie... and this is just another good reason why... you're an honest man. And you have been a great help to many hr.com memebers including myself. It's easy to kick a man when he's down, but (unlike some) you never really jumped too hard on the dog pile when I've been on the bottom... and I appreciate it too. We all can make a mistake... and a horse may fall, but you can tell a good horse by the way it gets back up... and you're standing back up strong and tall in my book. Thanks Richie for your time and everything you give to all of us here at hr.com. You're a good man Richie, keep up the good work. Don

Last edited:
Thanks for your kind words. Just pointing out that I don't make this shit up. In this case, someone else did that. Well, that's why I'm on this board, to learn. And today, I learned something that will help me to better position and select mics. What the hell? If I couldn't admit when I was wrong, I'd be...my brother.-Richie

Hey man, no big deal. I can't blame you for believing a book. You might consider writing a letter or something to the author/publisher of that book since it could confuse a whole lot of people. Like you said, it was irresponsible of them to publish that, they should have known better.

On another note though, does anyone know the "official" name for "wide-cardioid" or more omni than figure-8? Sub-Cardioid? Something like that I think....

"wide-cardioid has come into popular usage, and I had drawn the conclusion from that reference that supercardioid was the correct designation. It is embarassing though. I try every day not to be one of the dickheads that manufactures factoids.-Richie

DJL said:
Kool, like I said above, the Beyer M201 is my favorite snare mic. Two of my other favorite Beyer mics are the M88, and M160. Anyway, if you want to save a few bucks... keep an eye on ebay and etc for a good used M201. Good luck, Don

Well, Just got a new M201 ($175) based on your recommendation. It's first duty will be for snare as I'm starting to have a dislike for the sm57. Hope it's as good as you say :D

<<Well, Just got a new M201 ($175) based on your recommendation. It's first duty will be for snare as I'm starting to have a dislike for the sm57. Hope it's as good as you say>>

.........and if it's not, i'll give you $50 for it. :D

cheers,
wade

PS--seriously, where'd you get that mic for that price?

HangDawg said:
Well, Just got a new M201 ($175) based on your recommendation. It's first duty will be for snare as I'm starting to have a dislike for the sm57. Hope it's as good as you say :D
It's even better than I said... congratulations.

mrface2112 said:
PS--seriously, where'd you get that mic for that price?

I lost a used one due to a very fine sniper on Ebay (my bid was $160). It just so happened that one appeared from fullcompass shortly thereafter with a buy it now of $175. I snagged it.

Richard Monroe said:
[...]It also explains my real-world experiences with the e609 silver, my first supercardioid, namely the double null. Please note, I am not quoting this to argue with y'all. It's obvious to me that this guy is wrong.

Not to pick nits, but it seems to me that it's only a "double null" if you look at it projected in only two dimensions. The null is essentially toroidal in shape, isn't it?

HangDawg said:
I lost a used one due to a very fine sniper on Ebay (my bid was $160). It just so happened that one appeared from fullcompass shortly thereafter with a buy it now of $175. I snagged it.
That's a good deal... and the M201 is an awesome mic.

ggunn said:
Not to pick nits, but it seems to me that it's only a "double null" if you look at it projected in only two dimensions. The null is essentially toroidal in shape, isn't it?

Yup. Otherwise you would have to pay lots more attention to placement than you already do.

Back