who loves the 414?!?

wesley tanner

so today I was playin a buncha stuff for a potential client, and it seemed like everything he commented on I had recorded with my 414b-uls... vox on one song, snare on another, heavy guitars on another, even picked out when I used it on a freakin' floor tom! and when I listened close... each one of um rocked... so I've concluded I love that mic.

yer i love it too, wish i could afford one of my own! (student here!)
I really like it on A.Guitar and Vox, its them mic i would tend to grab for.

I don't grab it too often for acoustic... for most sessions, it's the C4s, rock songs sometimes get a 57, othertimes the tlm103. maybe I will start reaching for it, though...

I never used the C4s - but i do find the 414 brings a smooth, warm sound to my guitar (takamine) - and others, but that one especially.

On our first demo the RE used an old BE type on my (acoustic) guitar and I loved the sound he got. I hope to be able to afford one really soon.

Just got one

I picked up a used B/ULS about two weeks ago.

So far I've only used it on my guitar cab and for lead vocals. Awesome on the guitar cab....lotso detail. Some on this forum have indicated that it is not so hot on vox, but it works great on my voice.

Can't wait to try it on some other sources.

Bart

different models aren't so hot on vox, in my experience (also couldda been the vocalist), but sometimes it gets it just freakin' perfect... I really want to put up a clip, i just have to remember how to log into our ftp...

its the most expensive mic i got,
i tested it on lots of things, and wow, a decent preamp can change alot of its sound too! (of course)

sometimes its not a killer on vocals, but it sure is one hell of a mic,
u can put it on accoustic guitars, electric guitars, drum overheads, toms like u said, and its got great features

(AKG c414)
10 or 20 db pad
75 or 150hz rollof
4 different directivity patterns, no how u call that again...

nice, i'm keeping it

I have 2 414-XLII's, I use them on drum overheads, vocals, acoustic and sometimes bass and guitar. I think its a great mic, useful almost anywhere

Back